Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB77 Petcock need - non crossover type

Looking for Bikes, Parts, Etc.? Post it here or try the New Honda305.com Auctions !!!
Laroche
honda305.com Member

CB77 Petcock need - non crossover type

Post by Laroche » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:15 pm

Hi
does anyone have a cb77 non crossover pipe petcock? must be an original and not a repro.
many thanks

DJM
honda305.com Member

Fuel tap

Post by DJM » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:03 am

I'm assuming that you have a late tank without the extra outlet elbow on the right hand side of the tank?

None crossover taps were only introduced quite late in the model's production run so may be hard to find.

If you can't get one you could simply use the crossover type and fit a short length of fuel pipe onto the crossover tube and plug the end. Not strictly original I know but easy to do and hard to spot.

I've done that on my two bikes simply to do away with the crossover tube to make tank removal easier.

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Does removing the cross-over piece reduce the amount of available fuel? Or, is splash-over sufficient to get fuel from the right to the left?

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Does removing the cross-over piece reduce the amount of available fuel? Or, is splash-over sufficient to get fuel from the right to the left?

DJM
honda305.com Member

Crossover tubes

Post by DJM » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:03 pm

Honda issued a service bulletin in May 1967 (very near to the end of production) saying that 'It has been discovered that the crossover tube is un-necessary' so it was discontinued. My guess is that it was more about saving a few cents on each bike.

If you look at the tank it's obvious that without the crossover tube some fuel will remain in one side of the tank when the other side is dry, how much though is anyone's guess.

So there has to be some loss of capacity but as I try to FILL my tanks every 100 miles or so the loss of capacity isn't a big issue.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home