Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Carb adjusters or caps - CL77/CB77

Looking for Bikes, Parts, Etc.? Post it here or try the New Honda305.com Auctions !!!
the-chauffeur
honda305.com Member

Carb adjusters or caps - CL77/CB77

Post by the-chauffeur » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:29 am

As much as anything, I'm after some help to identify a couple of carb bits that are missing from the pair of CL77 carbs I've got. The carbs are Keihins, stamped as being CL77A and have the designation 26 on the engine side throat, meaning the carbs themselves are the correct parts for the bike model.

The tricky bit is that a previous owner has replaced the caps, and has also removed the cable adjusters. So they look like this (helpfully I can't seem to embed the image).

As you'll see, the cap diameter is 38mm, which is correct, but from images I've seen of the correct CL77 caps, there should be a small tower on the head - these are essentially flat. As far as I can tell, the missing tower is more of a design feature and so isn't that much of an issue from a functional perspective; the big problem I have is the missing adjusters. I'm pretty sure the standard adjuster for this size Keihins has a 6mm thread; the missing ones seem to have an 8mm thread, and it's a non-standard thread pitch.

So I guess I have a couple of questions:

- anyone got any adjusters that would fit the above description? or

- if not, do you have any caps with adjusters that would fit? or

- if not, d'you have any idea where I could get those bits?

I'm not particularly precious about originality; I'd just like them to work. If you could spare five minutes to let me know what you make of that, I'd be very grateful.

I haven't been able to check the CB77 sizes but I suspect they're the same. However, having cross-checked the carb from the CA77, they use a different size caps.

Thanks all.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Carb adjusters or caps - CL77/CB77

Post by G-Man » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:49 am

Where are you located?

I can have a look through my parts box for you.

G
the-chauffeur wrote:As much as anything, I'm after some help to identify a couple of carb bits that are missing from the pair of CL77 carbs I've got. The carbs are Keihins, stamped as being CL77A and have the designation 26 on the engine side throat, meaning the carbs themselves are the correct parts for the bike model.

The tricky bit is that a previous owner has replaced the caps, and has also removed the cable adjusters. So they look like this (helpfully I can't seem to embed the image).

As you'll see, the cap diameter is 38mm, which is correct, but from images I've seen of the correct CL77 caps, there should be a small tower on the head - these are essentially flat. As far as I can tell, the missing tower is more of a design feature and so isn't that much of an issue from a functional perspective; the big problem I have is the missing adjusters. I'm pretty sure the standard adjuster for this size Keihins has a 6mm thread; the missing ones seem to have an 8mm thread, and it's a non-standard thread pitch.

So I guess I have a couple of questions:

- anyone got any adjusters that would fit the above description? or

- if not, do you have any caps with adjusters that would fit? or

- if not, d'you have any idea where I could get those bits?

I'm not particularly precious about originality; I'd just like them to work. If you could spare five minutes to let me know what you make of that, I'd be very grateful.

I haven't been able to check the CB77 sizes but I suspect they're the same. However, having cross-checked the carb from the CA77, they use a different size caps.

Thanks all.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

the-chauffeur
honda305.com Member

Post by the-chauffeur » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:48 am

Hey - thanks for the offer and sorry for not responding earlier.

I realised after doing the forum rounds and talking to carb parts suppliers that there was something very wrong with the caps I had. No-one knew anything about the larger diameter adjusters, and it took me a while to figure out that they were a very unusual thread pitch - M8 x 0.75mm. Very, very few places make anything in that size these days, and no-where has anything remotely like the adjuster bits I needed. To this day I still have no idea where the caps originated or what machine they originally came from.

Anyways, it got to the point where I knew I was going to have to go a different route if I wanted to get the carbs to work without pouring money into eBay or similar. So I drilled and tapped new adjuster holes and blanked off the original holes with lead/tin solder. Not the prettiest job, but it works for now. I also had to slightly modify the cable ends - the soldered sections were just a little too long and seemed to prevent the slides form seating. So I Dremel'd them down a tiny bit and it's all good.

If you've got a correct pair, that'd be great but I can at least get the carbs to function for now.
I'll keep my eyes out for the correct caps, but I won't hold my breath.

And G - if you're reading this, do me a favour; pop over and have a look at the question(s) I've posed about the duplex conversion in the transmission(?) thread.

Cheers

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home