Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

WANTED - Oil Pump Gear Retaining Clip

Looking for Bikes, Parts, Etc.? Post it here or try the New Honda305.com Auctions !!!
Seadog
honda305.com Member

WANTED - Oil Pump Gear Retaining Clip

Post by Seadog » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:53 am

I've searched at all the usual places for a 9mm oil pump gear circlip/snap ring (part no. 90654-700-000). You'd think it'd be easy to find, but no go at Ohio Cycle, CMSNL, eBay, Google and the local hardware store, etc. Anyone have one to spare?

IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG (33.28 KiB) Viewed 1533 times

DJM
honda305.com Member

Re: WANTED - Oil Pump Gear Retaining Clip

Post by DJM » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:15 am

9mm is not a 'preferred' size', usually they go up in 2mm increments once you get above 6mm so I don't think you'll find one at the local hardware store, definitely a Honda special part.

I know others have looked for this part in the past with no success.

You might find the same circlip from another Japanese bike manufacturer but if it's listed under the part number it could be a long fruitless search.

I would always use new circlips if they are available but if not, do you still have the original?

I'm pretty sure that I could find a used one but I'm sorry, no N.O.S. originals

An alternative approach would be to grind out the centre with a fine burr; as you'll only remove .020" it should still leave plenty of metal to do the job.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:31 am

Thanks, DJM. No, I don't have the original clip. The pump came to me in an old engine. When I removed it, I saw that it had been scavenged for parts. I had to get a new gear B, washer, 6x16 screws and cover. I should have just bought a complete used pump on ebay - it would have been cheaper. I still might have to. Unfortunately, I'm not equipped to grind out the center.
DJM wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:15 am
9mm is not a 'preferred' size', usually they go up in 2mm increments once you get above 6mm so I don't think you'll find one at the local hardware store, definitely a Honda special part.

You might find the same circlip from another Japanese bike manufacturer but if it's listed under the part number it could be a long fruitless search.

I would always use new circlips if they are available but if not, do you still have the original?

An alternative approach would be to grind out the centre with a fine burr; as you'll only remove .020" it should still leave plenty of metal to do the job.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:19 am

Used ones work fine.
If you want I can send you one. ...............lm

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:48 am

Yes, please. Do you still have my mail address?

LOUD MOUSE wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:19 am
Used ones work fine.
If you want I can send you one. ...............lm

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:54 am

DJM wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:15 am

I think it worth mentioning that there is an industrial supply industry that stocks even the unusual sizes. The on-line catalogue of a local supplier has external retaining rings (the correct name) that would likely work. The trick may be to find an industrial supplier near you who sells them but once you do a lot of problems with small hardware are solved.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:27 am

Thanks, Tim. I'll look around.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home