honda305 Home honda305 Auctions honda305 Gallery honda305 Forum Electronic Ignition honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Racing honda305 Literature

Auctions  Mailing List    Registry   Marketplace

honda305.com Forum - FULL SCREEN

honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
  □ CLASSIFIED_ADS
□ FAQ 
  □ SEARCH_ADS
□ 
  □ MY_ADS
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

New CL77 project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...

Moderator: prima5star

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Re: New CL77 project

Post by GregMcN » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:52 pm

Started by dismantling the forks. Condition does not seem too bad though still full of sludge at the bottom despite a recent oil change. They will need new seals as some oil is getting past them. Problem is likely to be finding gaiters to fit.

Also started dismantling the rear shocks. For the CB77 shocks I was able to compress them enough by hand to remove the collets but either I am getting weaker (likely) or the spring is stronger on the CL as I had to make a tool to compress. Metal would have been more elegant/durable but with the tools and materials I had it was much easier to use some plywood and it worked well.

There is some damping in the shocks and no obvious oil leaks but not sure if the damping is good enough. The covers also need quite a bit of work. I will have to look into seal availability especially as I do not have the skill or equipment to produce new seal holders as I think G-man did on his shock rebuilds.
Interestingly the shocks had been mounted using 7mm bolts in 8mm bushes!

Greg

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Re: New CL77 project

Post by GregMcN » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:28 pm

Time for an update.
The rear brake switch mount on the frame looked to have been damaged at some point and badly repaired so this was cut off and rewelded.
Previously I have always painted frames myself on my projects but as I needed to get the frame media blasted and there were no colour issues with a black frame I decided to get it powder coated at the same time. I was pretty pleased with the results from a local supplier.

The engine strip down was fairly straight forward but some damage was found. The top ring on one cylinder was broken though all the parts seemed to be there, the threaded part of the camshaft locking bolt and the bracket holding the selector drum in place were also both broken.

The engine was sent for aquablasting and other parts for zinc and chrome plating.

I have also been progressing with the painting, after removing quite a few minor dents all the black parts are completed with 2k paint but I have had problems with the silver. I was not happy with my first attempt so I repeated but this time the silver reacted (I do not know why) so hopefully third time lucky.

Greg

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home