honda305 Home honda305 Auctions honda305 Gallery honda305 Forum Electronic Ignition honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Forum honda305 Racing honda305 Literature

Auctions  Mailing List    Registry   Marketplace

honda305.com Forum - FULL SCREEN

honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
  □ CLASSIFIED_ADS
□ FAQ 
  □ SEARCH_ADS
□ 
  □ MY_ADS
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

New CL77 project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...

Moderator: prima5star

GregMcN
honda305.com Member
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: Richmond, North Yorkshire, UK

Re: New CL77 project

Post by GregMcN » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:52 pm

Started by dismantling the forks. Condition does not seem too bad though still full of sludge at the bottom despite a recent oil change. They will need new seals as some oil is getting past them. Problem is likely to be finding gaiters to fit.

Image

Also started dismantling the rear shocks. For the CB77 shocks I was able to compress them enough by hand to remove the collets but either I am getting weaker (likely) or the spring is stronger on the CL as I had to make a tool to compress. Metal would have been more elegant/durable but with the tools and materials I had it was much easier to use some plywood and it worked well.
Image

Image

There is some damping in the shocks and no obvious oil leaks but not sure if the damping is good enough. The covers also need quite a bit of work. I will have to look into seal availability especially as I do not have the skill or equipment to produce new seal holders as I think G-man did on his shock rebuilds.
Interestingly the shocks had been mounted using 7mm bolts in 8mm bushes!

Greg

GregMcN
honda305.com Member
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: Richmond, North Yorkshire, UK

Re: New CL77 project

Post by GregMcN » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:28 pm

Time for an update.
The rear brake switch mount on the frame looked to have been damaged at some point and badly repaired so this was cut off and rewelded.
Previously I have always painted frames myself on my projects but as I needed to get the frame media blasted and there were no colour issues with a black frame I decided to get it powder coated at the same time. I was pretty pleased with the results from a local supplier.

Image

The engine strip down was fairly straight forward but some damage was found. The top ring on one cylinder was broken though all the parts seemed to be there, the threaded part of the camshaft locking bolt and the bracket holding the selector drum in place were also both broken.

Image

The engine was sent for aquablasting and other parts for zinc and chrome plating.

Image

I have also been progressing with the painting, after removing quite a few minor dents all the black parts are completed with 2k paint but I have had problems with the silver. I was not happy with my first attempt so I repeated but this time the silver reacted (I do not know why) so hopefully third time lucky.

Image

Greg

GregMcN
honda305.com Member
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: Richmond, North Yorkshire, UK

Re: New CL77 project

Post by GregMcN » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:30 pm

I get the impression that not too many people are using the forum as nobody else has posted in the restoration section since myself back in September but here is an update for this project.
The engine rebuild did not really go as planned, I tried replacing the rings but compression was still poor so I had to go for a rebore. The primary chain, filter chain and filter had to be replaced and I crossed the gears but bizarrely 2 of the gears would not swop but exchanging a gear with a friend worked for both clusters.
The oil pump was badly scored internally and I had to look at 4 before I found one I was happy with.
I had some problems with the silver paint but eventually got it to a decent standard.
I fitted a new regulator rectifier as the existing one did not look good and modern ones are cheap and work.
The fuel tap was problematic as it passed fuel even when closed, the problem turned out to be leakage via the mounting screws rather than the tap seal.
The seat was fitted with a new cover but also needed repairs to the trim and addition of some foam but turned out well.
Overall I had hoped to just recommission and use the bike but it turned into a full restoration.
The bike started up straight away on a remote tank and is now ready for road testing subject to Covid restrictions and the weather.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Greg

stratone
honda305.com Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:41 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: New CL77 project

Post by stratone » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:34 pm

Well done mate!

GregMcN
honda305.com Member
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: Richmond, North Yorkshire, UK

Re: New CL77 project

Post by GregMcN » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:38 am

Thanks stratone

Greg

User avatar
Muddy
honda305.com Member
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:03 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia

Re: New CL77 project

Post by Muddy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:02 pm

Absolutely awesome - great job.
Thanks.

Regards

Muddy

'64 C72

GregMcN
honda305.com Member
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: Richmond, North Yorkshire, UK

Re: New CL77 project

Post by GregMcN » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:46 pm

Thanks Muddy
I am pleased with how it looks will need to see how it works.
I did not do much with the wheels as they looked reasonable and I thought relatively easy to do at a later date if needed. Also the rear shocks were just a cosmetic rebuild as seals not available so will see how it rides then decide if any more work needed.
Greg

Post Reply

 


 

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home