Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Bill's CB77 Retirement Project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Re: Bill's CB77 Retirement Project

Post by Geoff Hastings » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:19 am

I used short silencers on my CA77, they worked well except after a long run the chain guard and back wheel was covered in oily soot. Probably proved my bike was running a bit rich!

ZillahBill
honda305.com Member

Post by ZillahBill » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 pm

Today was the day that I drove it down the street for the first time. It has been decades since this pile of parts was last a motorcycle. It has been quite a process but I have tried to enjoy the journey and not rush to the finish line. That being said I did want to get to a place where I could find out if I could turn it in to a motorcycle again and I did! The final challenge was the clutch. I must have read most of the posts regarding the clutch on this forum....and there's a lot. Switched over to a five disk clutch basket with a thick Plate A and no wires. I'll let you know after I get some time on the bike to see if it holds up. Turns out the clutch cable/clutch cable sleeve ratio was not allowing the clutch actuator to start at the 7 oclock position. I've found that is critical. I now have a clutch that is working and gears that shift. My regular motorcycle is a Harley softail and the last time I rode a bike like the Superhawk was in the mid 1960's. I feel a little bit like a big kid on a tricycle going down the street. Anyway, I didn't start this project to make a new daily rider. I had in the back on my mind that I might want to take this rustoration to a few bike/car shows around the area. I thought maybe a few gearheads would like to see one of these old bikes again because they are not something you see often. If some people think I am polishing a turd so be it. I've had a lot of fun with it so far and it has got my retirement off to good start. Thanks to everyone who encouraged me and responded to my questions posted on this forum. Here's a few pics.....one from Sept and some from today after putting on the correct tank badge and mudflap. Everything is done except tuning it up but I wonder if a project like this is ever "done".
Attachments
Progress 2.12.5.jpg
Progress 2.12.4.jpg
Progress 2.12.3.jpg
Progress 2.12.2.jpg
Bike Beginning 1.jpg
Last edited by ZillahBill on Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:18 am

Congratulations Bill !!!

What a great day - that first real ride!!!

I've observed everyone becoming happy and intrigued at the site of these bikes and you can look forward to lots of questions, stories and admiration.

Cheers!

Michael Stoic
honda305.com

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home