Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 CA77 Restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:58 pm

Little progress today. I installed the oil pump, starter motor, chain, starter sprocket with new seal and the sprocket stopper. Cleaned up the greasy rotor, prepared to install a new starter clutch housing, but it doesn't have stake pockets. I'll set the screws with thread sealant and an impact screwdriver. Still waiting for the 14mm washer that sits on top of the primary chain tensioner spring. When that arrives, it'll take minutes to finish up the left side. The right side will wait a bit for a starter clutch kit and 2 new 6 x 50 screws for the starter motor cover on that side.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:13 pm

Progress delayed for snow and loss of electric power. I had to push the bike aside to accommodate snow blowers (yes, two). I was able to bring the bike back yesterday. I installed the new winker/starter switch in order to install the throttle cable in order to install the carburetor. The new switch required the removal of the handlebar to pull the wires, which required removal of the front brake cable. The clutch cable isn't installed yet. I found that the seller of the new switch installed the throttle tensioner screw upside down and the inner part was missing. He also supplied screws that were too short, so installation is incomplete until I can get the right ones - 5x16 if memory serves. Carb installation was...interesting. I had to remove the carb hose nipple and the air filter to get everything together. I swear that some sadist designed that tube connecting the carb to the air filter.

I also installed the battery grounding strap, first grinding the paint off underneath it. That hurt. The starter motor cover is now installed and I've received the parts needed to finish the starter clutch.

Tomorrow, I'll install the left side engine cover. I just need to clean the mating surfaces. Screws and gasket are all laid out. I decided to go without the washer on top of the primary chain tensioner spring. I did get one, but it was so badly bent (and rusty) that even re-flattened, it's a mess. I got a refund for it, so all is well on that account. There wasn't a washer there when I removed the tensioner, so I'm not worried.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:13 pm

Lubed and installed the clutch cable, installed the drive chain, cleaned and wiped the left side cover mating surfaces with acetone and mounted the left engine cover. Added 2 quarts of oil and only find one tiny weep area at the case area nearest the shifter shaft. No leaks at the shaft seal and no oil pump leaks. I tightened the case cover screws as much as possible. I notice that the green after-market gasket extends beyond the cover a bit. There was nothing I could do about it as I was installing it. I tightened the cover screws just to the point before it crushed the gasket and tried shifting it inward, but that really didn't work. I just made sure it was centered before tightening.

I also put the rotor/starter motor clutch together. With no stake pockets, I used loctite and used an impact screwdriver to tighten the screws. I installed a clutch kit and mounted the rotor on the shaft.

Next up: remove the right rear shock and install the upper chain case and mount the generator. The wiring needs terminals. Then I can button up the right side case cover.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:32 am

Two steps forward, one step backward. I'm stalled at the moment. A new Honda clutch case gasket slowed, but failed to stop the oil weep on the underside of the clutch case. I had cleaned both mating surfaces thoroughly and gently stoned them, but to no avail. I have ordered a NOS clutch side cover in the later style with the larger oil filter opening. If the leak trouble is with the case, I'll have to use Hondabond or similar to seal it up. In that case, I'll want to be able to remove the oil filter without removing the side case.

I've ordered a new chain because the old one was really stretched and worn. I'm also waiting for a NOS kickstart lever. When both arrive, I can button up the right side.

I'm presently working on the wiring harness. It's NOS that I purchased many months ago. The wires are very supple, but the tubing is as hard as rock. I cut it off yesterday and have replaced it with new PVC.

Still waiting for 5mm screws to arrive for the winker/starter switch.
Attachments
Current State.jpg
Current State.jpg (322.24 KiB) Viewed 1249 times

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:26 pm

Well, a new to me lift certainly made life easier. Progress today; installed generator and worked on wiring harness. Made a separate harness for the regulator/rectifier. Installed new chain.
Attachments
Lift.jpg
Lift.jpg (357.26 KiB) Viewed 1233 times

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:46 pm

Worked mostly on wiring today. I just hooked up a battery (without the starter motor wire) and tested everything. Winkers, high beam, horn, speedo light and neutral light worked. The only faults were with the headlight's low beam, the tail light and starter solenoid. The tail light turned out to be a bad ground, but the headlight low beam is a small mystery that I'll resolve tomorrow. I'm guessing it's a red wire bullet connector that looked a bit dodgy when I made the connection. I would have thought that the starter solenoid should have clicked, but it was silent. Maybe a bad ground. I'll test it tomorrow.

I'm a little perplexed that I could not find any mounting points for the wiring harness inside the frame and it just hangs there. Maybe I missed something. I could find no references on this site or the Internet.

Eljeef
honda305.com Member

Post by Eljeef » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:43 pm

Perhaps this diagram will help you out.
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-ca77-1960-19 ... ml#results
1964-C77 305 Dream
2002 BMW R1150GS

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home