Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Dianne's C77

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:06 am

As long as it's fun! :-)

G

DianneB wrote:I am still debating which way to take this bike. I am not considering a full restoration - a LOT of money and work to end up with a showpiece. I will keep it so that is restoreable (i.e. not cut anything off!) but I want a fun bike, a classic, and a rider.

My present thought is a cross between a rat bike and a hippie bike. Thinking of leaving the dents in the fender, leaving some exposed primer and/or some psychedelic paint, and a few flowers. It would be "different" LOL!
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

DianneB
honda305.com Member

Post by DianneB » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:52 am

Got the keys for the Honda Dream the other day so I was anxious to check out the electrical - there always seems to be electrical problems on old bikes. I hooked an old head lamp in series with the battery as short-circuit protection, made sure the ignition points were open, and connected my volt meter across the points to see if there was power to the ignition circuit.

There was only power in ONE of the six positions of the ignition switch! WTF??? In a different position, the headlight came on, but I never seemed to get power to everything.

Since the bike had been sitting for god-knows how long, I decided to clean the ignition switch. I noticed, as I was about to open it, that it had been opened before but I opened it, cleaned out the old grease, and polished all the connections before putting it back together. Still strange behaviour! I took the switch off the bike and checked it with a continuity tester and it didn't match the 'switch matrix' published on the web. Again, WTF????

I opened the switch again and studied the layout of the copper traces on the back plate (where the wires attach) and compared them to the spring loaded contacts in the plastic plate that is rotated by the key and it began to look like the plastic plate needed to be rotated 180 degrees - the way it was, the battery wire was only connected to other circuits in two positions.

Is it possible that the plastic plate carrying the contacts could be out 180 degrees? I carefully lifted the plastic plate out, turned it 180 degrees, and sure enough it mated with the key lock in EITHER position! I temporarily clamped the switch back together and did the continuity test in each switch position again. Sure enough it matched the switch matrix diagram now!

SON OF A BEECH! Who'd'a thought of such a problem! It took me 3.5 hours to figure it out and I am supposed to be "an electronics wizz".

I closed up the switch, bent the locking tabs down tight, and re-installed the switch before I had to leave off for the time being but I am confident it is going to work properly this time.

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:00 pm

Dianne, it is nice to see another lady on here taking on a "repair-storation". I'm anxious to see the direction you take the Dream. The puzzle of working with and on these old machines (old friends) is engaging, isn't it? Enjoy!
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

oldbikedude
honda305.com Member

Post by oldbikedude » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:17 pm

Great website you have there. I am impressed with the amount of things you have going on...you must be busy.

DianneB
honda305.com Member

Post by DianneB » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:39 pm

sarals wrote:Dianne, it is nice to see another lady on here taking on a "repair-storation". I'm anxious to see the direction you take the Dream. The puzzle of working with and on these old machines (old friends) is engaging, isn't it? Enjoy!
Are you of the female persuasion as well? Good on ya!!!

It can certainly be challenging work, frustrating as well when things don't make sense LOL!
oldbikedude wrote:Great website you have there. I am impressed with the amount of things you have going on...you must be busy.
Thanks Old Dude - too much on the go here. I am working harder than before I retired ;)

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:03 pm

Dianne, yes, female persuasion! I restored my CB77 and chronicled the whole journey here: http://www.honda305.com/forums/what-a-c ... t9431.html

Looking over your website, you are quite a bit more gifted and accomplished than I am, although I do have a model railroad :)

Yes, we girls like machines, too!
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

DianneB
honda305.com Member

Post by DianneB » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:01 am

sarals wrote:Dianne, yes, female persuasion!
HOORAY!
I restored my CB77 and chronicled the whole journey here: http://www.honda305.com/forums/what-a-c ... t9431.html
WOW, 130 pages! And I thought I was "chatty" LOL! ;)

I REALLY like the CB77 - that was my second bike in 1966 and would have been my first choice for a rebuild but couldn't find one and the C77 came up....
.... although I do have a model railroad :)
Cool! Mine is only 7.5" inch gauge so it doesn't fit in the house.
Yes, we girls like machines, too!
Yes, some of us aren't smart enough to "play dumb" and have the boys do it for us ROFL!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home