Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB92 Restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
gltrench
honda305.com Member

CB92 Restoration

Post by gltrench » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:49 am

Hey Guys,

There she is....My long awaited Benly project. This bike is kind of a dream come true for me. I am a huge 250/305 fan, but the Benly has always been at the top of my most wanted list. Typically out of my price range, I finally tracked one down, or it found me actually. To make a long story short, I had been searching for a CB92 Benly for about seven years when I was woken up by a phone call at around 6:30 am a few months ago. The voice on the other end of the line claimed to have a Benly for sale and he stumbled accross my number on Ebay (I have no idea how). He wanted to know if I would be interested in his 1961 CB92 complete with CYB race kit parts and a large box of NOS parts including a spare NOS tank and Knee pad (!!!!!!!!). "Uh, well, yah I guess I'm interested," I replied trying to withhold some kind of girlish scream. This nice old man had owned the bike since the 60's, collected parts to restore it but was never able to do it. We struck a deal over a few nerve wracking phone calls and the Benly was on a truck from Colorado to my home in Southern California. Here is the bike with the NOS tank on and just a wipe down with some light rubbing compound. I plan on cleaning the bike up as much as possible without repainting it. I would love to keep it as original possible. Luckily, I have a ton of NOS parts to try and keep it "un-restored." The motor kicks over but has a valve issue according to the previous owner, so that will be first on the agenda as well as tracking down a few little odd's and ends to make the bike 100% complete. I'll post picks as I go. And of course, if you have any CB92 parts let me know...I may be needing them.
-Gabe
Attachments
So ugly...but sooooo cool.......
So ugly...but sooooo cool.......
I love that crazy wrap around knee pad.
I love that crazy wrap around knee pad.
Weird way to build a vented brake...It's magnesium by the way.
Weird way to build a vented brake...It's magnesium by the way.
NOS Tank and Knee Pad=Completely Unobtainable
NOS Tank and Knee Pad=Completely Unobtainable

dppeter
honda305.com Member

Post by dppeter » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:07 am

She looks great. I think you're in for a fun time working with her!

Dan

prima5star
honda305.com Member

Post by prima5star » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:19 am

Gabe,

It's my turn to be jealous! Awesome find. I gave up actively looking for a CB92 a few years ago when I found one and just didn't have the $3000 that was being asked.

I guess this shows I should start looking again, though I may have used up all my old Honda finding luck on the CB72. We'll see.

I hope you decide to do a long restoration thread on this bike with lots of pictures.

Thanks for sharing!
Last edited by prima5star on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

Also into Alfa Romeo Giuliettas and Giulias! Looking for a Giulia Super.

gltrench
honda305.com Member

Post by gltrench » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:56 am

Hmmm......there were pictures up last night. I guess I'll repost them tonight. Thanks for the encouragement guys.
-Gabe

prima5star
honda305.com Member

Post by prima5star » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:58 am

The pictures you posted last night are ok. I just meant in the future as you do things to it, it would be nice to see a lot of pictures.

Hey, this is my 100th post!!!
Matt

Also into Alfa Romeo Giuliettas and Giulias! Looking for a Giulia Super.

gltrench
honda305.com Member

Post by gltrench » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:01 pm

Matt,
I'll post more pics as I work on it...And thanks for the return jealousy. I'm still kicking myself about your CB72-and here in my home state of California!! But, I shouldn't be complaining. I too had given up hope of ever finding a CB92, but then all of the sudden there it was. We are both fortunate I suppose...
-Gabe

endless
honda305.com Member

Post by endless » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:53 am

hi just wanted to know does your vin have c92-60-xxxxxxx
i have 60 in my vin and dont know what its stands for the frame looks the same
thanks

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home