Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Questions on basket case CB77

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
sdaigle240
honda305.com Member

Questions on basket case CB77

Post by sdaigle240 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:45 pm

Hello everyone. I'd like to thank you guys and gals, Ive already been helped by several of you, and must say of all the forums i frequent this place by far has the "warmest welcome" to new comers. Ive "met" a lot of nice people and gained so much from the forum archives already, so thank you moderators and helpful members.
I'm Steve. 25 years young and reside in Ct. Graduated in mechanical engineering and currently work for a window and door hardware company, just acquiring toys and saving for a home.

My first passion is S chassis Nissan's. Wont bore you too much here, but Their sub 2800lb RWD coupes that are a blast to drive. I have a good bit of work into the suspension and peiced together/fabricated my own turbo setup. I also write all my own fuel and timing maps. interests are road racing, autox and hill climbs.

The Bikes!

Frame: CA78-1024149 65'?
Engine: CA77E-1024311 65'?

Frame: CB77-1017745 65'?
Engine: CB77E-1056387 67'?

i told a friend Id get a bike once his 74 cl200 cafe project was off and running. I was looking for a 70's cb350 twin in the 500-700 range, I first saw this dream for 800, and was just in love, then he said he had a SH for 700 too! when i fist saw the adds, I didn't really know much about dreams and superhawks besides i didn't think i could afford one and knew they were more collectible then 350's 550's etc. I bought the bikes not running and rather unknown history with what little knowledge i had saturated in 2 days of research....in the dark... with a flashlight but they seemed in good shape so i took the plunge. I ended up acquiring both the bikes for 1200, which i thought was a deal and half at the time, now just more of a fair price in my mind. It was pretty easy to see even for a newb to 305s that the SH was FAAAR from original and the Dream was pretty darn original and mostly there. The plans are, aquire the missing parts (carb cover, lower fork covers etc) and either keep the dream as is, or do a full teardown this winter(we'll see how she rides for the next few weeks). The SH is going to be all me, I LOVE FABRICATION, so custom exhaust, rear mt foot controls, fiberglass seat, shaved battery tray, no starter etc.

all Ive done to the dream is clean, tires/tubes, weeding out the bad cables, rattle canned and mounted front fender, electrolysis on tank, cleaned carb, got battery and she started right up.

dont mind the lazy/temporary tank cross over tube routing!
i assume when i get my new throttle cable, it tucks into/behind the fork?

phone video of first day i got it roadworthy

the superhawk, you guys are the pro's but i see a whooole lot of not original going on here. im not really willing nor do i think its worth it to bring this thing back to original. theirs clean originalish SH's in craigslist for 1500ish all the time if i really want one. plus i just really like fabricating stuff.
my only question is, is that the incorrect front end on the bike, obviously its got the silly rubber covers on it, but i thought there was a "steering tightener" like on the dream?

poorly re covered seat and side covers in cabinet. so far, rebuild starter, timed bike, cleaned carbs, just need to assemble and start it up!

Thanks for looking!

Steve
Last edited by sdaigle240 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
CA78 65?
CB77 65?

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:44 pm

Steve, the front end on the CB77 is from an eartly CL72 or CL77. You van piece together a correct front end, or they do come up complete sometimes.

davomoto

sdaigle240
honda305.com Member

Post by sdaigle240 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:12 am

thanks davo, you wouldnt happen to be able to confirm the claim that cb360t forks fit the SH? disc brakes would be nice for the direction of the project.
Steve
CA78 65?
CB77 65?

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Can;t confirm for sure, as I've never done it. It should be a bolt right on deal, with the only possible mod need to the steering stop. A disc brake would be a nice upgrade for sure!

davomoto

sdaigle240
honda305.com Member

Post by sdaigle240 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:20 pm

well, as kind of expected, the charging system isn't up to par. Got stranded but managed to have a friend bring me another battery and we kept on riding ~120mi. With the head light on, it killed the battery fairly fast. I'm going to play around with an ohm meter and see whats wrong. Although alot of the research seems to say that's how it is. It cant be........??? I'd have to charge the battery before every long cruise.

The bikes very cool though, it was slow, didn't handle to well, nor did it stop very well, but oh man is it a blast to ride. Switched back and forth with my friends cb350 and it almost made be appreciate the bike more, its just freakin cool. I was most impressed with how well the bike took 120miles of riding after sitting for countless years.

I've got to make a decision now. there are a few small oil leaks, it does appear to be the original motor, the odometer does say 16k, and i do want to learn the internals of this motor. I think I'll attempt an amateur resto on this bike. all the chrome is good enough, but im going to have a challenge figuring out how to heat and ventilate the garage so i can spray the frame etc in the dead of winter. im on the fence if i should split the case, the trans is ok but sometimes its like i cant find a gear while im not moving. The clutch surely needs attention, you have to kind of ease into 2nd, an aggressive shift yields some slipping. It's as if it didn't really grab the gear, then it grabs and your good to go, no more slipping. I call it character :)

Well there was a lot to live up to. i spent a bunch of money and time on all this and was glad to see that enjoying it out on the road was everything i expected.

Thanks for looking, constructive criticism is more then welcomed!!!!
Steve
CA78 65?
CB77 65?

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:46 pm

Did you put your tank emblems back on correctly?I see in some photos they are backwards on the Dream.

sdaigle240
honda305.com Member

Post by sdaigle240 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:36 pm

:) no it came with 2 of the same side emblems, im going to spend the 50$ on those really nice aftermarket ones that were posted a few months ago.

so if my dream is indeed a 65, then using the "honda 300" badges of my SH would be "correct"?

while im here,
my tank was leaking. drained it and found a small crack, too bad, i just had the tank all cleaned out. i think its my fault, i didn't realize how fragile the tank was and when i went to blow it out while cleaning i forgot to pop the plug on the petcock hole, and blew into it with a nozzle and just my hand over the filler hole. we'll when i let go, i saw the sides of the tank deflate down and was like #$&@!!!!!! the plug!!!! so im sure that little pressure test caused it. oh well, you live and learn.
I planned to attempt a few hundred more miles on the bike Thursday, as its suppose to be 70* and already have the day off in preperation. So...... temp fix :\ hit it with the sand blaster and some epoxy. i think over the winter i'll braze it as oppose to coating the tank. the electrolysis followed by BB's worked magical, it looks too good in there to coat it.

its fun being a noob at something again.... everything's new, exciting and interesting. im actually pumped to go read up on cleaning this oil "filter" and then do it tomorrow.
Steve
CA78 65?
CB77 65?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home