Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Left for dead fifteen years ago

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Jacoby Turley
honda305.com Member

Left for dead fifteen years ago

Post by Jacoby Turley » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:03 am

Well, I had a more heartfelt and detailed post typed up, but I accidentally closed out of it and don't really feel like typing it up again right now, so here's the short version.

My dad took this '64 Dream apart when I was four years old to fix a few minor problems and never put it back together. I'm grown up now and I've decided to properly restore the bike. I loaded the bike and all the pieces onto my '47 Willys Pickup and took them home. I don't have a garage and I don't want to expose the bike to the elements, so I put it in my bedroom at the foot of my bed. I figure if I wake up every morning and stub my toe on it, I'll remember to work on it.

The bike needs to be put back together, the motor needs some work, and several parts need to be replaced. The only body damage is a small chunk missing out of the front fender, I'll have that fixed when I take it in to be painted. I'm going to try to get the bike as close to original as possible. Once I'm finished I'm going to take it to one of the local shops and have it painted either black or white.
Attachments
Resized bike.jpg

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:25 am

Jacob

Nice looking project! It's nice and handy there so if you can't sleep you can do a bit of therapeutic restoration work in the middle of the night.

When you have a moment, have a look at the rear shocks. Are the top covers metal or plastic?

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Jacoby Turley
honda305.com Member

Post by Jacoby Turley » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:24 am

The covers on both shocks are metal, why?

I've discovered that around a handful of the bolts are missing and my father has no idea where they might be. Guess I'll just have to keep looking for parts.

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:02 am

G-man has a theory that all white Dreams have metal shock covers.

Looks like you have some of the hard to find parts like the carb covers and I think I see the chain guard. Also your front fender hasn't been cut and maybe not crunched to bad? Your seat isn't a Dream seat though. It also looks like someone swapped out the controls, maybe when they added the turn signals.

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:15 pm

You also got a helmet! ;)

It looks to be in really good shape, as others have said. It's just me, but I'd leave it the original white. It looks nice, and there aren't that many of them around.
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

Jacoby Turley
honda305.com Member

Post by Jacoby Turley » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:23 pm

Oh, I wouldn't even think of touching the paint if it was original, but its not. Its been painted white with gold flakes and the paint is fairly rough with rust showing in places so I figure I'll have it painted one of the original colors.

Jacoby Turley
honda305.com Member

Post by Jacoby Turley » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:05 am

I'm kind of wondering if step the idle up a little on the carburetor if I'd be able to take it out around town (25 mph speed limits) and get around decently without using the throttle. Wouldn't be ideal, but at least I could take it out and see if everything still works. If it would slowly reach maybe 15 mph or so I could just ride it to the shop for paint and repairs instead of having to load it up and transport it.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home