Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Hello all

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
clay1999
honda305.com Member

Hello all

Post by clay1999 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:35 pm

Hello all. Clayton here.., I'm new to this Forum and I thought I would do my first posting and tell you about my projects and the story behind the bikes and how I got them. Some years ago my cousins husband died and going through the attic of his garage we find these motorcycles I pull them down and find a 1965 cb77 all apart in boxes, my cousin gave me the boxes of parts and all related parts.. for the cb77 superhawk NO TITLE... this bike has been apart for the past 20 years... so I go to the secertary of state here in Michigan and I'm told by the people there, that I had to reassemble the bike and have it inspected to apply for a title.. SO for the past year I reassembled this cb77 superhawk.. I dare not to put to much money in this bike because when the bike gets inspected AND IF the VIN is hot, I loose the bike! MY secertary of state would not run the VIN, to tell me if it's hot or not.. geesh.. had to be done by the inspector after assembled! Myself I'm a mechanic for the past 30 years in the Chevy garage as a heavy mechanic.. so putting this bike back together was nothing... BUT I did need this forum for help in some of the tune up, and carb setups.. while I'm reassembling this bike my brother-in-law in Arkansas is up and he see this Bike and likes it, When he gets back to Arkansas he finds a 1965 cb77 from a friend and starts his own project more about his bike in a later posting, SO back to my bike.. while I'm building my bike I find a 2nd bike another 1965 cb77 superhawk, frame and engine, no triple tree, wheels or tank... so I got the first bike together, got the state police to come out and give me my inspection and I went to the secertary of state and applyed for a title... now I wait again I was told a state offical will come out and put a NEW vin tag on my bike and it will have 17 digits it will be a 2013 assembled bike.. I said what ever.. I just want title so it can be taged or sold if need be... I await... while I'm waiting I'm putting the 2nd bike together and after doing the first bike I have the inspectors phone number and had him to run the VIN on the 2nd bike BEFORE I assemble it. It also no title.. BUT I know it's clean before I put it together. I can do a nicer job from the get go.. Back to the first bike.. after I get the title I will dissamble the bike again and redo the paint and I want to work on the transmission it's a little sloppy.. I'm going to try to post the pic's here to share.. The 2nd bike I'm going to go away from stock color and use a custom paint instead and give it a name, something like "The Poormans Cruiser" or "The Simpleman's Bike" what do you think of the names? Do anyone have a better name? In closing you all must know I'm 60 years old.. I'll will never ride these bikes on the road myself.. I do ride the first bike around the yard a bit.. and I hope to sell these bike in a few years to a good home (I'll upload pic's when I get it figured out)
God Bless
Clayton

clay1999
honda305.com Member

Pictures

Post by clay1999 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:28 pm

I hope this works
Clayton
001 by clay19991, on Flickr

002 by clay19991, on Flickr

003 by clay19991, on Flickr

004 by clay19991, on Flickr

005 by clay19991, on Flickr

This is the start of Bike #2

006 by clay19991, on Flickr

007 by clay19991, on Flickr

009 by clay19991, on Flickr

014 by clay19991, on Flickr

015 by clay19991, on Flickr

010 by clay19991, on Flickr

What do you think?
Thanks for looking
Clayton

G3
honda305.com Member

welcome

Post by G3 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:48 am

Hey Clay,
Welcome to the Honda forum. You can bet that you'll spend a good deal more time perusing this site for various bits of information. Hope you get through all that title search baloney soon enough just to get it outta your hair. Keep posting your blue project bike as the color is attractive. Oh...nice shop too! Wisht I had one even half the size to work in. Enjoy your projects (even if you don't think you'll ride 'em).

Mike

linmictil2
honda305.com Member

greetings

Post by linmictil2 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:58 am

Hello from a fellow Michigander; Nice bike! I restored my 66 CL77. Got it running and rode it done the road and back. Scared the hell out of me. I rode many miles in my younger years but get nervous riding today. Been restoring since I retired and if you ask me the labor of love is the best part. The $$ is the worst part haha... Done 4 so far and can't bring myself to sell any of them.... ...mike
66 CL77
CL100
2 -CB125s
ATC200

Goodysnap
honda305.com Member

Post by Goodysnap » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:01 pm

Hello Clayton and welcome to the forum,

I too had to deal with getting a title. Though it was a slight pain I was successful.

I have moved from the Lansing area and I'm currently working in Romulus and I would love to come by and look at your bikes sometime.

Good luck with your on-going project.

Goody
64' CB77
65' CB160

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:57 pm

Welcome Clayton. Enjoyed the photos. Couldn't help but notice you have your tank badges on the wrong sides. Change their location to the other side(s) and they'll be flying right.

HT

clay1999
honda305.com Member

Post by clay1999 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:47 pm

Well I stand with red face... wow.. what a mistake, it's fixed already
Geesh
Clayton
Hoosier Tom wrote:Welcome Clayton. Enjoyed the photos. Couldn't help but notice you have your tank badges on the wrong sides. Change their location to the other side(s) and they'll be flying right.

HT

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home