Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Steverino's CB77

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Steverino
honda305.com Member

Ting Ting Ting Ting Ting Ting Ting Ting

Post by Steverino » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:09 am

Thanks G
Thanks Seadog
I've got a little ting ting ting ting thats about the speed of a tappet at idle. It doesn't sound like a rod knock and it sounds like its coming from the top end. You can hear it in the video. I hope it quiets down when I reset the valves. If I remember correctly, it's 4 thousanths.
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK_3DNI9AVA

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Ting Ting Ting Ting Ting Ting Ting Ting

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:45 am

Does sound like a loose tappet.
Cold to .004 is correct. ..............lm
Steverino wrote:Thanks G
Thanks Seadog
I've got a little ting ting ting ting thats about the speed of a tappet at idle. It doesn't sound like a rod knock and it sounds like its coming from the top end. You can hear it in the video. I hope it quiets down when I reset the valves. If I remember correctly, it's 4 thousanths.
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK_3DNI9AVA

Steverino
honda305.com Member

more questions about my noisy tappets

Post by Steverino » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:11 pm

I reset my tappets to 004 cold and they were still noisy, I read DeafandDiabetics thread and other threads, learning about the proper shape for the tappet screw ends. Mine are not that shape. You can kind of see the flat spot in the reflection in the upper right area in this picture.
ImageKIMG0545 (2) by Steve Steverinomeister, on Flickr
I don't know if this profile shows clearly enough the flatness.
ImageKIMG0541 (1) by Steve Steverinomeister, on Flickr
I was very lucky to find a NOS set on eBay. I can't wait for them to show up. Hopefully when I get them installed that will quiet things down.
Imageteppet screws by Steve Steverinomeister, on Flickr

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: more questions about my noisy tappets

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:16 pm

I don't see much of a dome on the NEW??? ones?.
I have NOS available or can describe how to refurbish them. ............lm
Steverino wrote:I reset my tappets to 004 cold and they were still noisy, I read DeafandDiabetics thread and other threads, learning about the proper shape for the tappet screw ends. Mine are not that shape. You can kind of see the flat spot in the reflection in the upper right area in this picture.

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:27 pm

I didn't pay all that much for these Ed so yes I'm interested in yours. Just let me know how much you need for them. Maybe the thread I read about them not being available was an old one. I can't even find it now.

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:46 pm

I just noticed that strange discoloration that was showing up in the pictures of the inside of my crankcase is also appearing on the contact ends of the tappet screws. What these pictures have in common is they are shiny surfaces with a heavy film of motor oil. The discoloration does not appear in the original pictures. It shows up in the link from Flickr. It must be some weird computer thing.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:44 am

Call me today. .....................lm
Steverino wrote:I didn't pay all that much for these Ed so yes I'm interested in yours. Just let me know how much you need for them. Maybe the thread I read about them not being available was an old one. I can't even find it now.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home