Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 CA77 Restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:25 am

I removed the gas tank, filled it with EvapoRust and let it sit overnight. Good results. Drained it and rinsed with distilled water this morning. Dried it out with air, then coated the inside with Marvel Mystery Oil. I can now see that the tank has been lined with a clearish liner. Obviously it's failing because there were some light rust in spots, but it isn't flaking. I'll use a fuel filter until I can find a tank cleaning and relining service that can do the job without damaging the paint. If not, I guess I'll have to do it myself with acetone or MEK, but the paint will most likely be ruined. Two steps forward, one step back. That's the way of it, I guess. Onward to the next task. Waiting for gas line.

Later edit to add:
It's not tank liner, it's primer paint. It's only on the tank hump in the area of the fill hole.
Gas line arrived.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Installed the clean gas tank and all new hoses. I used a quick connect on the crossover that seals from both directions when opened. I installed an aftermarket fuel petcock - I was never able to get the original to work. I found that my newish gas cap is not venting. Even with the tank closed with it for just a few minutes, it opened with a hiss. I think I might have messed the cap up with Evaporust when first cleaning the tank a year or so ago. The stuff dries sticky and might have clogged the tiny vent hole. It's soaking in soapy water now and I'll drop it in my ultrasonic cleaner tomorrow. I know they can be dismantled and I've seen photos of the parts on this forum, but I'm not sure how to overcome the spring to reassemble it. I'm borrowing the cap from my Superhawk for now. If I can't repair the cap, I'll get another.

Had a friend lend me a hand with the rear brake pedal install. Although I had it installed correctly on the rolling chassis, I couldn't seem to get the whole train of parts working correctly with the engine installed. Seems ok now.

Took the stator side engine cover off to fiddle with the clutch adjuster. I took the bike on a ride down my very long driveway yesterday and the clutch was all wrong, with the clutch lever sticking ¾ of the way in. New cable, no kinks, well lubricated. I'm not sure what the problem was, but dismantling and reassembling corrected whatever was wrong. While I was in there, I gave the chain a good lube.

barnbiketom
honda305.com Member

Post by barnbiketom » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Where did you get the disconnects? That sounds like a winner!!!!!!!!!. I ask this after having my tank on and off
492 times for silly reasons...Now I'm done
I like stock...
A few modern mods...
But worst of all are those gawl dang PODS

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:27 am

I got it from ebay. See http://www.ebay.com/itm/191775653371?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

The seller has other sizes.
barnbiketom wrote:Where did you get the disconnects? That sounds like a winner!!!!!!!!!. I ask this after having my tank on and off
492 times for silly reasons...Now I'm done

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:44 am

It looks as if I'm nearing the end of this project. There's still lots to do, such as a new seat cover, Honda mufflers, and gradually replacing some items, like the chrome fork covers, but it's road worthy. Registration is in the works. If I can access this site in the future (I'm having problems), I'll post more as the little things are sorted. Now to get back to work on the Superhawk.
Attachments
IMG_1924.JPG
IMG_1924.JPG (506.24 KiB) Viewed 1746 times

Muddy
honda305.com Member

Post by Muddy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:21 pm

Wow Seadog, a very nice job indeed!
Thanks.

Regards

Muddy

'64 C72
'63 C72

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:33 pm

Thanks, Muddy.

I might have a line on some early mufflers in ok shape.

Edited to add: the line I had on some early mufflers didn't pan out. I purchased them as OEM NOS with a few dings. When they arrived, they turned out to be much less than anticipated and they were sent back. Still looking.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home