Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 CA77 Restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue May 09, 2017 1:04 pm

Well, if anyone has seen my thread in the Transmission section, you'll know that on my first ride attempt, my shifter was sticking - not returning - and I couldn't get above 2nd gear. With a lot of help from Loud Mouse, I think the problem is now resolved with a new shift spindle. I also found a bent drum stopper that was forcing the wheel at its end to sit in front of the shift drum instead of seating itself in the drum indents. This must of been going on for some time because the back of the stopper was quite scarred. I cleaned it up, bent it back into shape and reinstalled.

When I reinstalled the clutch cover, I just used a new gasket, without Hondabond, to see if the cover would now seal properly. I'll know more tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

I took the bike out for a 5 mile run this afternoon and it shifted very well, both up and down the gears. It ran quite well too. Upon return, I found a tiny oil leak and, more importantly, I found that my swing arm nut was undone, hanging by a few threads and the bolt was coming out the other side. Losing that could have hurt. Maybe a little loctite in the future, but I'll have to keep an eye on it.

More as it happens.
Attachments
IMG_1958.JPG
IMG_1958.JPG (346.64 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
IMG_1957.JPG
IMG_1957.JPG (313.75 KiB) Viewed 4065 times

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue May 09, 2017 1:22 pm

Check the bolts at the cam tensioner. ............lm

Seadog wrote:Well, if anyone has seen my thread in the Transmission section, you'll know that on my first ride attempt, my shifter was sticking - not returning - and I couldn't get above 2nd gear. With a lot of help from Loud Mouse, I think the problem is now resolved with a new shift spindle. I also found a bent drum stopper that was forcing the wheel at its end to sit in front of the shift drum instead of seating itself in the drum indents. This must of been going on for some time because the back of the stopper was quite scarred. I cleaned it up, bent it back into shape and reinstalled.

When I reinstalled the clutch cover, I just used a new gasket, without Hondabond, to see if the cover would now seal properly. I'll know more tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

I took the bike out for a 5 mile run this afternoon and it shifted very well, both up and down the gears. It ran quite well too. Upon return, I found a tiny oil leak and, more importantly, I found that my swing arm nut was undone, hanging by a few threads and the bolt was coming out the other side. Losing that could have hurt. Maybe a little loctite in the future, but I'll have to keep an eye on it.

More as it happens.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue May 09, 2017 2:17 pm

Good idea, will do. Thank you.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Check the bolts at the cam tensioner. ............lm

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue May 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Just checked the cam tensioner bolts. You were so right, LM! Hardly more than finger tight. I could see oil at the gasket. I also cleaned paint off of the swing arm bushings, cleaned the thread, applied a little loctite and torqued.

Another shakedown cruise tomorrow, if it doesn't rain.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue May 09, 2017 3:03 pm

That was easy!. ............lm
Seadog wrote:Just checked the cam tensioner bolts. You were so right, LM! Hardly more than finger tight. I could see oil at the gasket. I also cleaned paint off of the swing arm bushings, cleaned the thread, applied a little loctite and torqued.

Another shakedown cruise tomorrow, if it doesn't rain.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu May 11, 2017 10:57 am

Crazy weather - sunny one minute and raining the next - has kept me from a real test ride. I took a chance this morning and got gas, then headed out for some more miles. Then it started to rain, so I headed home. The bike ran well, but it's not as peppy as my Superhawk. It seems to be running better each time though.

I only found two faults. The clutch needs adjusting to get more pull 'till disengagement (my cable must be too tight) and that the right hand gas tank mounting bolt fell out. Fortunately, the bolt and washer fell onto the block and stayed there. The rubber washer is gone. I had a spare, so I reinstalled with a wavy lock washer on both bolts. I must not have tightened the bolts enough. The beast does vibrate a bit. I also checked the temperature of the coil and the regulator/rectifier when I returned home. Both were barely warm. The charging system seems to be functioning correctly. Even using lights, the winkers and the starter motor at the gas station, when I plugged the battery into the trickle charger, it recovered very quickly. I'm pleased.

The leaking oil issues seem to be resolved. The clutch case gasket area is still dry and tightening the cam chain tensioner bolts seems to have done the trick.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home