Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

My 1965 Superhawk

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:10 am

Dimecitycycles makes that seat I posted.

Yeah waveblaster I saw that seat browsing old threads last night, I saw someone saying that the fitment looked like the rear of the seat was actually the front. I kind of agree just by looking at it, it doesn't look quite right.

Last night I pulled the tappet covers, stator cover, timing cover and exhaust collars and a few little misc pieces. I'm having them ceramic polished. I polished them " ok " , I'm very picky so my friend has a ceramic tumbler, there's no way to get them better than that unless they are chromed.

Tonight on my way home I'm going to stop by my local motorcycles shop. He has tons of NOS Norton and BSA stuff... Just going to take a look and see what he has muffler wise, if he has a NOS set of dunstalls or something different.

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:22 am

The backwards looking seat was actually how Honda designed them. It is not a modern aftermarket cafe seat but a replica of a Honda CYB seat.

That seat sold by Dime City looks like it will take some modifications to work on the CB.

promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:43 am

Oh man I love those seats, velocity stacks and the dunstalls?

Was just looking at a picture of another bike and noticed I don't have a rectifier , however I have this relay.

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:53 am

That is a rectifier you have circled. Smaller than the stock one though.

promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:15 am

Hahnda wrote:That is a rectifier you have circled. Smaller than the stock one though.
That's what I figured, thank you.

Now I'm a bodyman by trade, and it's killing me to have this flat silver on the bike. Anybody when they restored their Superhawk, painted the silver with base/clear giving it a modern look? This Silver is called " Cloud Silver"?
Thanks

Waveblaster
honda305.com Member

Post by Waveblaster » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:31 am

Yes I opted for 2K clear over base for the guards and side covers. I ended up using Toyota Magnetic Silver which I feel is a pretty good match to a NOS painted cloud silver piece I had. I know that folks in the US can advise on other paint codes but I had trouble finding them here.

promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:34 am

Well bikes in pieces :)
I wasn't to fond of this finish, the poor rattle can job was starting to show. Not going to fly with me.

Everything was sand blasted, stripped completely of all material that was on them. I then blew then clean, scuffed with a scuff pad to take the excess media off the parts. Then cleaned them very well with prepsol.

After they were cleaned, they were coated with two coats of PPG Epoxy primer. Then there's a few minor dents I'll then correct, and then prime with high build grey primer.

Installed the kickstart cover, adjusted the clutch cable. Pretty happy with how that came out.

I'm pretty sure now after this weekend I've decided to go with the reproduction CYP racing seat not the dime city seat I posted above.

I like these, however I like these better.
Only problem with them is they are 1 3/8 and to make them work I'd need to clamp on top of the header pipe.

Things I need to purchase this week, new brake switch, and a front brake cable the soldered end just fell off. I might just resolder it, I'll look up how much a cable is first and then decide.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home