Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

My 1965 Superhawk

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:08 am

Painted the parts couple of tiny dirt knibs I'll polish out, but other then that I'm happy with my color.

Started polishing the hubs, still have a lot of work to do with them.

promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:06 am

So after a week in transit my exhaust arrived in Cali the chromer, only for him to tell me he can't do them. 110 in shipping :-/ He did say they could strip the chrome, and high polish the steel. Only down side is I would have to ceramic clear it. I'm kind of up in the air on what to do, if I should do that since it's there, or just ship it back and leave it half chrome, half dull yellow rust pitted.

promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:31 am

Spent about 5 hours total sanding and polishing this hub. I'm not super happy with the way it came out. In my opinion it looks great at certain angles, and some spots it's swirly, with some light light pitting still visible.

I didn't take before pictures but this is how the front wheel looks. It was worse then this one but still the same idea.

The chrome linkage is all yellowed and dull, I might just paint this shiny black, not sure yet.

promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:22 am

Motor before

Polished the fins more, and did a little gloss black contrast that I like.

Also polished as best as I could my original exhausts that came back from the plater who was unable to plate them.

I also made a fork install tool with threaded rod to thread into the fork to help installation.

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:49 am

That is coming along nicely! I prefer the "original" look of the engine myself, but I'm not knocking yours. It's very well done! That's going to be one pretty bike when you get it finished.
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:28 pm

Thank you!

I got the idea from the lack of responses, that I don't think people care much for the look. I however love it! I absolutely love this bike!

I'm going to put the exhausts back on this weekend, and wrap other other loose ends such as misc polishing on the wheels.

promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:55 am

Been slow working on my bike as cars have taken priority again.

Lots of time and energy in this! 1961 AMC Rambler

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home