Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

My 1965 Superhawk

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:34 am

Not much :-)

G
promking wrote: Fresh chrome and paint.
Is there anything better?
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:17 am

ImageIMG_8513 by promking1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8518 by promking1, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8522 by promking1, on Flickr

Wow, it's been a long time since I've worked on my bike.

I've bought a home, and been working like a mad man.

However I had some free time on Monday, and the wife let me tinker in the garage.

I assembled both wheels, new brakes, and big adjustments.

Thank you LM! For the rear splash guard brackets I lost!

Last few things I want to try and find for the bike are some CYB parts, like a seat, and triple tee.

I'll be back this week with more updates.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:48 am

Nice bike. .................lm
promking wrote:[url=https://flic.kr/p/QrL5SV][img]https://c2.staticflickr.com/1/572/
Wow, it's been a long time since I've worked on my bike.

I've bought a home, and been working like a mad man.

However I had some free time on Monday, and the wife let me tinker in the garage.

I assembled both wheels, new brakes, and big adjustments.

Thank you LM! For the rear splash guard brackets I lost!

Last few things I want to try and find for the bike are some CYB parts, like a seat, and triple tee.

I'll be back this week with more updates.

mark98
honda305.com Member

Post by mark98 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:44 pm

Your question about the model year of your Super Hawk? My '65 Super Hawk (that I've owned since it was in the crate) has Vin CB771030683; that's about 2300 units difference. before yours and mine were built, they made approx. 25,000 more Super Hawk's before production ended in 1967. Everything about your machine indicates a late '65 (newer speedo, aluminum front fork sliders) except the exhaust system. For whatever reason, the exhaust was replaced by parts from latter years. As you can see, this newer unit did not a fit correctly and had to have the engine mounting hole elongated to allow the bolt to be inserted in this hole. I remember working on these machines when they were current models. Most of the time when the engine was removed for repair, these bolts were not replaced.

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:18 am

mark98 wrote:Your question about the model year of your Super Hawk? My '65 Super Hawk (that I've owned since it was in the crate) has Vin CB771030683; that's about 2300 units difference. before yours and mine were built, they made approx. 25,000 more Super Hawk's before production ended in 1967. Everything about your machine indicates a late '65 (newer speedo, aluminum front fork sliders) except the exhaust system. For whatever reason, the exhaust was replaced by parts from latter years. As you can see, this newer unit did not a fit correctly and had to have the engine mounting hole elongated to allow the bolt to be inserted in this hole. I remember working on these machines when they were current models. Most of the time when the engine was removed for repair, these bolts were not replaced.
My bike (CB771042xxx) came with two part exhaust but when I tried to purchase replacement mufflers in the late 70s the two part systems had been superseded by one part systems so I bought them. They require the later hardware to attach them to the head because the older collars will not over the flanges on the headers. Otherwise they are a direct replacement.

BTW, very nice work on the bike and the P1800 brings back memories.

It's hard to know what you have because the welded joints on my pipes look different from yours. Perhaps the originals were replaced with aftermarket pipes or Honda made a change to their design.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home