Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

My 1965 Superhawk

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Waveblaster
honda305.com Member

Post by Waveblaster » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:24 pm

Looks good. As a note I rotated my kick starter slightly more forward to avoid getting caught on the leg of pants. I imagine wearing flairs in the 70s might have been potentially hazardous. Not a good feeling when you go to put your foot down and you are hooked up.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:43 pm

Actually when the lever is indexed as HONDA installed it there is no problem. .................lm
Waveblaster wrote:Looks good. As a note I rotated my kick starter slightly more forward to avoid getting caught on the leg of pants. I imagine wearing flairs in the 70s might have been potentially hazardous. Not a good feeling when you go to put your foot down and you are hooked up.

Waveblaster
honda305.com Member

Post by Waveblaster » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:33 am

Then that isn't indexed as intended. LM I think you mentioned 1 o'clock, that is more like 12. I have mine set to nearing the stator cover.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:05 am

With the 2 gears in the cover properly indexed (inside index marks) and the Kick Shaft clockwise to stop you will find the lever is close to where you say you now have it. ..................lm
Waveblaster wrote:Then that isn't indexed as intended. LM I think you mentioned 1 o'clock, that is more like 12. I have mine set to nearing the stator cover.

promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:25 am

My spring is a little weak, so I installed it at the marks, and it was laying on the stator cover. So I wound it a little more, and found it returning much better. I can always take the kick starter off and more it a little forward at a later time. I'll adjust it though thanks guys.

So my next question. I thought I had a 65 because that's what the previous owner told me.
Vin Number CB771032940

My exhaust, this looks like it's a one piece system, and the systems I've seen on ebay the Thai reproductions are two piece? How do I separate the two pieces? I was going to purchase new Thai reproduction pipes, and have this muffler rechromed. But I might just send out this entire unit if it's not serviceable without cutting and rewelding. So I sent an email to the company explaining how I cannot figure out how to separate the two pieces because I believe they are one piece, and asked if they can be done just like this.

Side Covers in 2k high build primer
Tiny bit of overspray on the bottom where my tape lifted I'll address before I paint the struts.

So all the bodywork is done, and the parts are ready for paint. Just trying to figure out what I'm going to do as far as exhausts are concerned. If they can't do it, I might just order the Thai pipes, and dunstalls or the peashooters I like. However, I'll have to reverse clamp the peashooters I like because they are 1 3/8s.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:57 am

The two halves of the system are held by that ring that surrounds the two flanges on muffler and pipe. To separate - you have to cuto off the ring.

The front pipe for the 'one' piece system has a boss and flange spot-welded to it so it is not the same as a front pipe for 'two-piece' systems.

G
promking wrote:
So my next question. I thought I had a 65 because that's what the previous owner told me.
Vin Number CB771032940

My exhaust, this looks like it's a one piece system, and the systems I've seen on ebay the Thai reproductions are two piece? How do I separate the two pieces? I was going to purchase new Thai reproduction pipes, and have this muffler rechromed. But I might just send out this entire unit if it's not serviceable without cutting and rewelding. So I sent an email to the company explaining how I cannot figure out how to separate the two pieces because I believe they are one piece, and asked if they can be done just like this.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

promking
honda305.com Member

Post by promking » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:18 am

Shipped my exhaust & pipes out this morning to California. 108 bucks for shipping and insurance. USPS wanted 160+, there's a UPS store located next store to my post office so I got lucky saving a few pennies that way.

So now is the waiting game for Chrome stuff. I can't wait for the Chrome side panels on the side of the gas tank as that's my favorite part of the bike.

I'm going to continue to clean and polish the rest of the pieces of the bike this weekend.
I should be able to get my fenders and side covers painted as well.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/straight- ... witch.html
Picking up a new universal 2 wire straight brake switch.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home