Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Dianne's C77

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
DianneB
honda305.com Member

Dianne's C77

Post by DianneB » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:15 pm

Might as well start a restoration thread since I will be at it for awhile!

I have always loved old motorcycles but could never afford a true antique but classic bikes fall into the range I could afford. My first bikes where a Honda 50 and then a Superhawk CB77. I already have a 1962 Honda 50 in the garage awaiting restoration but CB77s seem to be quite rare. While looking for a CB77, I ran into a pair of 1967 Honda Dream CA77 at a reasonable price so I picked them up.

One bike is reasonably complete and the other is a "parts bike".

The immediate objective is to get the red bike running so work started with the fuel tank. The tank is quite rusty inside so it will be cleaned and sealed. It appears to have been leaking and someone did a repair by brazing. It was then over-coated with contact cement so cleaning up the repaired area was a pain. Using a fuel tank sealer will take care of any leaks!

The pet cock was dismantled, cleaned, and repaired. It was quite gummed up and the reserve pickup tube was missing so a replacement part was ordered.

I picked up a KBS tank cleaning and coating kit but when I started preparing the tank I found that it had been previously coated. The coating was either inferior or the preparation insufficient as rust had gotten behind the coating in many places. An application of paint stripper softened the coating but it still required 2 hours of scraping to loosen the old coating (which was like elastic!) Scraping through the filler hole is a P.I.T.A.! With a 12v light bulb inside for light and brass and steel rods bent to creative shapes, progress was slow but noticeable. I also found the spot where the tank had been leaking - a pin hole through the brone repair on the cross-over fitting. We will try to fix that before re-coating the tank.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Dianne's C77

Post by G-Man » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:27 am

Nice project!

I found that the de-rusting fluid with the sealing kit that I used was either not strong enough or they supplied too little. I ended up using some toilet bowl cleaner (contains muriatic acid - HCl ) and that cleared up the remaining rust in the tank. If you don't get rid of the rust it will just return to haunt you underneath the sealer.

Enjoy your project!

G

DianneB wrote:Might as well start a restoration thread since I will be at it for awhile!

I have always loved old motorcycles but could never afford a true antique but classic bikes fall into the range I could afford. My first bikes where a Honda 50 and then a Superhawk CB77. I already have a 1962 Honda 50 in the garage awaiting restoration but CB77s seem to be quite rare. While looking for a CB77, I ran into a pair of 1967 Honda Dream CA77 at a reasonable price so I picked them up.

One bike is reasonably complete and the other is a "parts bike".

The immediate objective is to get the red bike running so work started with the fuel tank. The tank is quite rusty inside so it will be cleaned and sealed. It appears to have been leaking and someone did a repair by brazing. It was then over-coated with contact cement so cleaning up the repaired area was a pain. Using a fuel tank sealer will take care of any leaks!

The pet cock was dismantled, cleaned, and repaired. It was quite gummed up and the reserve pickup tube was missing so a replacement part was ordered.

I picked up a KBS tank cleaning and coating kit but when I started preparing the tank I found that it had been previously coated. The coating was either inferior or the preparation insufficient as rust had gotten behind the coating in many places. An application of paint stripper softened the coating but it still required 2 hours of scraping to loosen the old coating (which was like elastic!) Scraping through the filler hole is a P.I.T.A.! With a 12v light bulb inside for light and brass and steel rods bent to creative shapes, progress was slow but noticeable. I also found the spot where the tank had been leaking - a pin hole through the brone repair on the cross-over fitting. We will try to fix that before re-coating the tank.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

DianneB
honda305.com Member

Post by DianneB » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:41 pm

Finished the tank clean-up this morning with a second round of paint stripper. Rinsed well, and then used "Marine Clean" (a POR-15 product I had left over from years ago) and that did the trick to get the old coating off. Applied the KBS etchant as per instructions, then rinsed again and set the tanks to dry with a blower. (I am also doing the tank for a 1962 Honda 50)

Tanks are both coated now and curing.

Having used both POR-15 and KBS now for tank sealing, next time I am going back to POR-15 - it is MUCH easier to use and less messy. I have some that were done 20 years ago and still look good and their sealer doesn't make the mess KBS does and the job is done in a fraction of the time. JMHO

DianneB
honda305.com Member

Post by DianneB » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:51 am

I was working on the bike this morning, making the fuel tank mounts, when I noticed a crack in the frame. Further work is on hold now until I talk to my welding expert and see if he can fix the crack without having to strip too much of the bike.

Shouldn't be too much of an issue but my friend is an aircraft welder so I will see what he says.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:03 am

Dianne

That looks pretty serious. I would get the bike stripped down and check the frame very carefully.

Depends how much you value your life......

G
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

DianneB
honda305.com Member

Post by DianneB » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:27 pm

After finding the crack, I went over the frame pretty carefully and there are no other cracks evident. Had there been, I have another bare frame available but since there weren't, I welded up the crack. I will probably put a doubler over it just to be safe.

It isn't "a killer crack" with a critical failure mode but just one that makes the frame a little less rigid. The last owner probably rode it for years without realizing the frame was cracked.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:03 pm

Dianne

It's your bike but as a Mechanical Engineer for 35 years I would be interested in how the crack got there..... :-)

G
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home