Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 Superhawk Project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:52 pm

Not yet, but I've looked. I did find the chart below. Looks like grayish tan is good.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Hello Seadog.
Something just hit me!
Has anyone seen/found any actual pics of plugs that show what we should see after the LEAD additive is no longer in the gas?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (40.41 KiB) Viewed 996 times

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:38 pm

I wonder how many on the forum have been right or lean by the LEADED color we were accustom to?. ...
Thanks. .....................lm

Seadog wrote:Not yet, but I've looked. I did find the chart below. Looks like grayish tan is good.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Hello Seadog.
Something just hit me!
Has anyone seen/found any actual pics of plugs that show what we should see after the LEAD additive is no longer in the gas?

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:59 am

A few, I'm sure. According to all I've read, the color test isn't a very good indicator at all when using unleaded gas. Even for leaded gas, reading the color was complicated. I think it's still useful to use color to compare mixture balance in the cylinders though.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I wonder how many on the forum have been right or lean by the LEADED color we were accustom to?. ...
Thanks. .....................lm

dragonfly888
honda305.com Member

Post by dragonfly888 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:14 pm

Thanks, guys... this has been a great learning experience !!!

redblk63
honda305.com Member

Post by redblk63 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:24 pm

Thank you for bringing up the lead/no lead effect on plug color. I had no idea. Rats! Now I need to recalibrate my eyes.

Larry

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:41 pm

Brought the Superhawk out of storage in order to get it ready for riding. When I got it ready for winter storage, I took off the carb bowls to drain all of the gas and saw particles of something or other in each. I thought at the time it was something from the gas tank, but I'd thought I'd cleaned that thoroughly. The first thing I did when I brought the bike back out was to check the petcock bowl and screen. Both were as clean as a whistle. I'm thinking the fuel line might be flaking. It appears to be original. I'll be changing it out and adding small fuel filters, but I'll clean the carbs again too.

I started to replace my aging speedo packing and, after gaining some knowledge here on the forum, glued it up today. I'll be installing it in a day or so.

I also thought that after seeing Dick Eastman's excellent project here on the forum and noting how he added vacuum ports to his carb spacers, I'd like to give it a try. I do have a Morgan Carb Tune manometer and it would be nice to sync the carbs. I know my limits though and decided I'd take an extra set of spacers and the two brass vacuum ports to a machinist for precision work. There are very few machine shops in my area; only 3 that I have found. I took the project to the first one today, but I was very surprised when he refused the work. He told me that he was concerned about the thickness of the material, doesn't have a bottoming 5mm tap and that he could not chuck the brass vacuum port to shorten the threaded portion. Jeez. If the next 2 have the same concerns, I'll have to try it myself. A bottoming tap can't be that expensive and I can figure out some sort of jig to use with my drill press. That'll be a last resort though.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:17 pm

Seadog

Cannot see why your man would need a bottoming tap as he's drilling into an open area. If he doesn't drill into the inlet port you won't get a measurement.

If your worried about the adaptor sticking into the manifold put some washers on it.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home