honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 1968 Dream, bringing it back to life, with questions.

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Axehandler
honda305.com Member

CA77 1968 Dream, bringing it back to life, with questions.

Post by Axehandler » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:07 pm

I am new to these bikes and I have taken on a project in boxes. I have the parts for one and half bikes and everything is currently in a state of disassembly. I am planning on doing a solid restoration. It won't be totally accurate as I am not planning on spending huge cash but expect to be proud of it when I'm done.
I'm curious to know how you guys would approach this. I'm currently thinking I should get an engine running and then assemble a runner. That way I know what parts go where, what parts I need and how the fit. I would then break it all back down and blast and paint the body work, rechrome the bright work and then reassemble.
For time saving I'm tempted to send the tins for blasting and chroming while I'm getting the engine going but I don't want to damage finished pieces by not knowing how they go together.
Any and all input is welcome!

stepper
honda305.com Member

Post by stepper » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:33 pm

Sounds to me like you have a solid plan already.
I have never built a motorcycle from scratch but when it comes to vintage bicycles, I like to get all the main components together first - frame and fork, wheels, seat post and seat, stem and bars. That way I get earlier satisfaction and motivation by knowing that I actually have a bike as opposed to a pile of bike parts.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home