Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB77 restoration by a newbie in Scotland

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
eddiebpool
honda305.com Member

Post by eddiebpool » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi Gordon

I'm from Edinburgh originally though in Dumbarton now. Good to see another enthusiast in the frozen north!

Eddie

eddiebpool
honda305.com Member

Post by eddiebpool » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:23 pm

Got the piston out, came out with some firm negotiation. The crank is toast though. The bearings nearly move which is not good. Worse is the amount of play in the con rods. One is passable, the other is bad. So, a good used crank is on the shopping list.

GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

63 CB77

Post by GORDON BROWN » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:57 pm

Hello Eddie

I have some used cranks and stuff if you get stuck. I think its best to strip any used cranks you get these days, even when they "feel" good they can be in a pretty poor state. No point in spending on pistons etc. then have the bottom end give trouble.

Gordon

eddiebpool
honda305.com Member

Post by eddiebpool » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:40 pm

Gordon, I think you will be a saviour at some point! The tear down is complete. One thing for sure is I will need parts and plenty of them!

I'm thinking I will do the wheels first as a gentle introduction while finishing off the CB750. My hubs are in good shape and David Silver has spoke kits and a rear rim. My front rim is not too bad. I picked up modern copies of the Pirelli MT53 for the front and rear. Incidentally, the front is a genuine MT53 with full tread but I didn't want to leave my life in the hands of old rubber.

Billiam
honda305.com Member

Blue Paint.

Post by Billiam » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:55 am

Yes. Did the search thing and found that you had just asked the question. I too am hoping someone will be able to tell us which colour aerosol we need.
Like Grey there are many shades of Blue.

Best of luck with the resto and make sure you are sitting down and have the smelling salts to hand when you get prices from David Silver.
Made me go quite light headed they did.

SMBH
honda305.com Member

Re: Blue Paint.

Post by SMBH » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:24 am

Billiam wrote:Yes. Did the search thing and found that you had just asked the question. I too am hoping someone will be able to tell us which colour aerosol we need.
Like Grey there are many shades of Blue.

Best of luck with the resto and make sure you are sitting down and have the smelling salts to hand when you get prices from David Silver.
Made me go quite light headed they did.
Buying rare Honda's and running a museum don't come cheep, at leased he has the parts we all need.
Old Jap bikes values are rising fast just look at the silly prices asked for CB72/77 parts on EBay man we used to moan at the prices of Honda parts back in the 60's nothing changes.

eddiebpool
honda305.com Member

Re: 63 CB77

Post by eddiebpool » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:14 am

GORDON BROWN wrote:Hello Eddie

I have some used cranks and stuff if you get stuck. I think its best to strip any used cranks you get these days, even when they "feel" good they can be in a pretty poor state. No point in spending on pistons etc. then have the bottom end give trouble.

Gordon
Hi Gordon

PM sent, used crank and plenty of stuff would be very useful! Generally speaking, is there a way to check a crank to ensure you are getting something usable? I would focus on smooth bearings and no slop in the con rods. Beyond that you can't (as best I can see) check the condition. I think taking a crank apart is a lost art. I'm not building a racer. This bike will likely never see the red line or a rainy day so usable will do fine.

I have managed to source enough bits to get my rolling chassis off the ground. The project begins next week. I'll post pictures.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home