Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

62 C77 Barn Find

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Clarke
honda305.com Member

Finished the painting

Post by Clarke » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:30 pm

I took the frame to a Ublast it yourself facility today. Those machines have some major power. I finished the whole job in about 15 min when I got home i finished the painting. Tomorrow ill start putting the bike back together.
Attachments
this is the last part that needs to be painted white. the other painting i need to do is on parts like the engine side covers
this is the last part that needs to be painted white. the other painting i need to do is on parts like the engine side covers
rsz_img_6147.jpg (273.8 KiB) Viewed 1104 times

Clarke
honda305.com Member

Engine Repair

Post by Clarke » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:53 pm

I spent yesterday working on the frame. Installed the front forks and the rear swing arm. Then I started working on the engine. I did a compression test and the results were disappointing. One cylinder has 115psi and the other had 75psi. I decided to take the top end apart and figure out what is needed to fix it. Does anyone think this bike would have run with this low compression? I see there was rust in one cylinder but it isn't too bad so I lightly honed it. I had a look at the pistons and rings. The pistons are .75mm oversize. The pistons say ART on the skirts is this a brand name? They also have c77 and 0.75 cast on them. The rings are about 1.5mm thick so i ordered some rings for a cb77 that are +.75 the part number is 13040-275-000. these will fit into the pistons i have right? I think when the top end was rebuilt someone installed aftermarket pistons that use the narrow 1.5mm thick rings.
Attachments
can anyone suggest how to strip the old paint and re spray this motor to get it looking good again?
can anyone suggest how to strip the old paint and re spray this motor to get it looking good again?
rsz_img_6151.jpg (339.38 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
Here is the frame. things look good so far but some parts like the speedometer are badly deteriorated and too expensive for me to replace with new parts.
Here is the frame. things look good so far but some parts like the speedometer are badly deteriorated and too expensive for me to replace with new parts.
rsz_img_6149.jpg (285.33 KiB) Viewed 1085 times

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:31 pm

The ART pistons are OE pistons. What is your engine number?

HT

Clarke
honda305.com Member

Post by Clarke » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:19 am

The number stamped on the engine is C77E-10000xx what does that tell us? Also the body of my carburetor is so warped that the float bowl doesent fit back on is there anything we can do to fix that? The carburetor has C77 B stamped on it. If this carburetor is beond repair s there a new carburetor that fits easily on this bike?

Clarke
honda305.com Member

slowly puting the bike back together

Post by Clarke » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:42 pm

I have been very slowly puting the frame back together. I will put the engine back in as soon as the new piston rings show up. This is what i have done so far. I also need to wire everything from scratch. The old wiring harness had some bad twist and tape work on it so i decided ill make a new one one wire at a time. I am going to need to do a little research to find what the different colours on the stator wiring mean if someone can point me in the right direction that would be great.
Attachments
some progress on assembling the suspension and the breaks
some progress on assembling the suspension and the breaks
rsz_20170610_175955[1].jpg (475.2 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: slowly puting the bike back together

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:32 pm

The center stand should be BLACK. ..............lm

Clarke wrote:I have been very slowly puting the frame back together. I will put the engine back in as soon as the new piston rings show up. This is what i have done so far. I also need to wire everything from scratch. The old wiring harness had some bad twist and tape work on it so i decided ill make a new one one wire at a time. I am going to need to do a little research to find what the different colours on the stator wiring mean if someone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Clarke
honda305.com Member

black center stand

Post by Clarke » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:00 am

Thanks Loud Mouse I guess I never gave the center stand much thought. I did paint the side stand black but I was not able to get the center stand off of the bike so I left it alone.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home