Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Resurrection of a wreck

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Resurrection of a wreck

Post by G-Man » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:05 pm

John

Marry Christmas to you. Nice to know that you are still at it.

It's great to have the site scrubbed clean so we can all get on with sharing our projects and thoughts.

G
John Watson wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:41 pm
Still here, not gone away and still grabbing the odd spare part as something I need comes along.

I'm bimbling along with the electrics, bought a new harness from Thailand and have that fitted. There are one or two odd coloured cables but nothing that can't be traced through fairly easily.

Just putting a bit of cash together to get the bits that need chroming done, hopefully early in the New Year.

A very Happy Christmas and New Year to all the members on this great forum.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

John Watson
honda305.com Member

Post by John Watson » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:26 pm

Thanks for your good wishes guys.

Brewsky, not bad at all, one or two odd coloured cables and terminals but nothing that a quick trace with a multi-meter won't sort out in double quick time. All in all, quite satisfactory.

Quite agree about the forum, it's gone from being a chore to a pleasure again and my thanks go to those responsible for sorting everything out.

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:28 pm

I want to add to the Merry Chrismas and Holidays good wishes!

I am happy we are going into the new year all scrubbed and functional once more. Couldn't do it without your encouragement and participation.

Cheers to All !!!

Michael Stoic

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:44 pm

How's it going John? I've not been on the site for quite a while so was wondering how the resurrection is progressing.

John Watson
honda305.com Member

Post by John Watson » Tue May 05, 2020 8:33 am

Hi Geoff, I've been absent for a while as well, the reason being a very scruffy Triumph Trophy 900 triple was offered at a price I couldn't refuse. The previous owner, resident just up the road in Lockerbie, had bought it with the intention of turning it into a street fighter and lost interest after a while, so I acquired it and am in the final stages of returning it back to original and using it as my daily rider. The CA77 is still there and work on it will resume once the Triumph is up and running.

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Sat May 09, 2020 5:05 am

Hi John,
I know what you mean about getting diverted,I ended up buying two 1976 CB750 K6's I didn't intend to but I was there and they were offered at what seemed a good price. One had only 3km on the clock and hadn't turned a wheel in 45 years, Unfortunately it wasn't stored well and is quite rusty. The other hadn't been on the road since 1985 and was in a poor condition. It turned into a real marathon,cracked cases, broken piston, knackered main bearings, cracked hub, numerous stripped threads, I ran out of helicoils and gave up with the head,just too many stripped threads. Good luck with the Triumph and the CA

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:30 am

Hi John, I was just wondering how your various projects were progressing. Since last year I’ve rebuilt for a friend a partially restored 1950 Gold star, and a 1974 Triumph 750 Bonneville. Finding the parts he’d mislaid in his various garages proved to be a major problem and really held up the builds. The Gold star “expert” that built the engine for him obviously did not have any spanners as most nuts were loose and lots of gaskets or seals left out. In the meantime I bought a C95 that is pretty complete, engine seized but freed off quite easily, lots of rust and unfortunately quite a bit of rot in the frame so plenty of fabricating and welding to be done.
Attachments
0728C099-E545-4029-A4E4-95E641BF885B.jpeg

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home