Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1966 CB77 Restoration Project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:27 am

Thanks, G. I had seen that cover on ebay. It does have a bit of damage - one of the ribs has a scrape, but it’s not bad and can be repaired with a bit of Aluma Weld. Once I have everything sorted, I’ll be selling the parts I don’t need. I don’t need that cover.

Thanks for the heads-up, Richard. I was aware of the many different lower cases and did a it of searching through my parts books. The Dream lower case should work as should the ‘62’s with a different oil pump strainer (according to the parts book). I’ll test it and choose the best one.

Now, the good news and the not so good. It’s lightly raining today, so the ‘62 engine sits on the back of my truck (covered). It will need partial disassembly in place before I can move it. I’m not taking another header moving a whole engine. With that delay, I removed the head on the ‘66 engine and was pleasantly surprised with what I found - no rust. I used a piece of 2x2 and hit the right piston a few times and it’s now unstuck. I wiped and oiled the cylinder walls and can spin the rotor with two fingers. It doesn’t mean that it won’t need rebuilding, just that it will be less difficult to get there. Of course, I had to cut the cam chain.... The valves didn’t look too bad either.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:06 pm

I know what you mean about the weight of these things. When I installed my mill I had to buy an engine hoist as I had no chance of lifting it with or without help.

It might just get turned into a movable engine crane once I've worked out the details.

That engine looks pretty nice. I've just dismantled a 'low-mileage' SL175 enging and pretty much everything important has been destroyed with rust. The outside looked great but one piston was badly corroded to the bore, one big end was rusted solid. The primary gears were horribly rusted in one spot, the fixed mainshaft gear was ruined and one gear selector was rusted to the drum.

The replacement parts from my CB160 and CB175 horde will sort it, but its so depressing.....

G
Seadog wrote:Thanks, G. I had seen that cover on ebay. It does have a bit of damage - one of the ribs has a scrape, but it’s not bad and can be repaired with a bit of Aluma Weld. Once I have everything sorted, I’ll be selling the parts I don’t need. I don’t need that cover.

Thanks for the heads-up, Richard. I was aware of the many different lower cases and did a it of searching through my parts books. The Dream lower case should work as should the ‘62’s with a different oil pump strainer (according to the parts book). I’ll test it and choose the best one.

Now, the good news and the not so good. It’s lightly raining today, so the ‘62 engine sits on the back of my truck (covered). It will need partial disassembly in place before I can move it. I’m not taking another header moving a whole engine. With that delay, I removed the head on the ‘66 engine and was pleasantly surprised with what I found - no rust. I used a piece of 2x2 and hit the right piston a few times and it’s now unstuck. I wiped and oiled the cylinder walls and can spin the rotor with two fingers. It doesn’t mean that it won’t need rebuilding, just that it will be less difficult to get there. Of course, I had to cut the cam chain.... The valves didn’t look too bad either.

'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:30 pm

I’m just about done stripping the ‘62. The left piston was frozen with rust, the right not. The left intake valve was open - too bad. The transmission was nice and oily and came out easily. On quick inspection, it looks pretty good.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Re: 1966 CB77 Restoration Project

Post by Seadog » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:58 pm

After a long hiatus, I'm back at it again.
IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0148.JPG (255.02 KiB) Viewed 2247 times

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:19 am

Seadog

Pretty chilly where you are?

That engine looks like it will clean up nicely. Gears look great and the crank appears emininently usable.

Is this the one that you need a frame for? I'm sure one will turn up. I have my eye on a suitable engine for my white 1964 CB77. It's great when things come together.

Let me know if you need any (small) pieces... :-)

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:14 am

Thanks, G. It’s 33 F. here at 6 a.m. Not bad at all. The water keeps us warmer 20+ miles out to sea. It’s 5 F. at my daughter’s house in NW Massachusetts with lots of snow.

No, both engines on the bench are ‘66s. The far one in the photo is done, but waiting for its frame to be painted. The ‘62 engine is in a crate waiting for a frame. I’ve redone its transmission and round bowl carbs, but won’t do more until I know I can do something with it.

G-Man wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:19 am
Seadog

Pretty chilly where you are?

That engine looks like it will clean up nicely. Gears look great and the crank appears emininently usable.

Is this the one that you need a frame for? I'm sure one will turn up. I have my eye on a suitable engine for my white 1964 CB77. It's great when things come together.

Let me know if you need any (small) pieces... :-)

G

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:45 am

Stripped down the top end. Piston pin clips were rusted solid & the rings were stuck in one piston. Complete redo needed. No o-rings to be found, which probably explains the mass of baked on oil all over.
Attachments
Progress?
Progress?
Progress.jpg (251.54 KiB) Viewed 2195 times

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home