Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

New Cb77 project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
jkv357
honda305.com Member

Post by jkv357 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:05 am

Or buy a cheap tent if you plan to do more of it.

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:53 am

GregMcN wrote:Thanks Brian

I definitely need to do something as it makes me very unpopular!
For the smaller parts, I have used a clear plastic storage container, turned upside down, with a hole cut in the top for a shop vac hose.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

DJM
honda305.com Member

Soda blasting.

Post by DJM » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:59 pm

A cheap tent with an integral groundsheet would seem to solve both problems,

Also you could use it as a spray booth when it's too windy to spray outdoors.

Could be a good investment if you have space to put it up.

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Sun May 26, 2019 4:37 pm

Progress has been pretty slow with my project as I wanted to try and solve problems with my other bikes first and although superficially the cb77 did not look that bad in reality everything needs work.

What has been done as follows:

Some chrome plating has been carried including the DID rims, bars and tank side panels

I have built up the wheels. First time I have spoked wheels and it seemed to go OK, though obviously I have not used them yet. Also further work is required to sort out the brake linkages.

I have fully stripped the engine and had it aqua/vapour blasted. I had to replace the lower crankcase due to damage. The engine now looks good though after I had done this I heard reservations about the technique in terms of problems with residual media so I spent a long time trying to ensure all the oilways, galleries, threads were clear. Hopefully the cleaning was successful. The barrel has been rebored as there was rust on one cylinder.

I have started working on the paintwork. I decided against powder coating to be sure I could get the same colour on the tank and frame, so I have used a 2 pack primer and topcoat paints, matching it as best I could to the original. The tank required work to remove rust. I tried electrolysis and also repaired a pinhole using silver solder. I tried painting outside with a mini spraygun but this did not turn out well, so resorted to painting in the garage with my standard gun. The results were a lot better though the garage now looks like a bit like a murder scene - everything is red!

Greg

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:11 pm

Update on progress

Rear shocks have been rebuilt. Thanks to Graham Curtis for advice, Stevie Denton for the seals and Prestige Electro plating for the chrome plating. Not tested yet but really pleased with how they look.

Brake plates have now been built up, brake arms rechromed. For the front one the link rod was bent so replaced with a stainless steel one from Phil Denton engineering.

I needed to get the valve seats recut as there was corrosion in the head which was done by a local engineering firm as my attempts to just grind in the valves was not going to work. Both the primary chain and starter chain were in poor shape so replacements were obtained from sprockets unlimited.

Just starting on the silver paintwork, the chrome has now been removed but a lot of processes to work through.

Greg

Muddy
honda305.com Member

Post by Muddy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:23 am

Wow, that is looking great. Keep those photos coming.
Thanks.

Regards

Muddy

'64 C72
'63 C72

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:46 pm

Thanks Muddy.

I will add photos as I progress.

Not a good day today, I was spraying undercoat onto the rear mudguard and the air from the gun blew it off its hanger spoiling the paint and putting a dent in it …… I was not happy!!!

Greg

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home