Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

New Cb77 project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
GregMcN
honda305.com Member

New Cb77 project

Post by GregMcN » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:21 pm

Despite my problems with the current cb77 I have bought another project. You may ask why but I really like the style of the bike and I thought it would be nice to have a standard bike to go with my existing big bore, big carb version. The other option might have been a CL77 but this cb77 came up on ebay. Picture below:
It did not look too bad on ebay (they never do!) particularly relative to some of the projects people have taken on board. I had hoped that the engine would have been OK but unfortunately not the case, although it did turn over on stripping down it had obviously weather seized at one point and the combustion chamber is also rusty. The chain for the oil filter had come off and done a bit of damage, RHS crankcase cover cracked and badly repaired etc.
So it is going to be quite a long project. When stripping it down I labelled a box for parts that did not require any work, at the moment it contains the headlamp unit and the rubber tank pads! On first glance the geabox also looked OK and hopefully the crank as well but not much else, so I will certainly be looking for parts, refurbishing etc. Also all the silver parts have been chromed so I need to get them back to silver paint.

My first query is around the red paint colour. I was thinking of getting the frame powder coated, I know there are mixed views on this but it is quite difficult to just get a frame shot blasted round here or the price is not that much less than getting it powder coated. The problem is the coaters work on RAL codes and I have yet to find one suitable, I thought RAL3020 but this is definitely too orange so any thoughts appreciated.

Greg

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: New Cb77 project

Post by G-Man » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:16 pm

Greg

Nice find! Very late bikes had chromed fenders so thay may be correct. I can see you have late type forks.

G
GregMcN wrote:Despite my problems with the current cb77 I have bought another project. You may ask why but I really like the style of the bike and I thought it would be nice to have a standard bike to go with my existing big bore, big carb version. The other option might have been a CL77 but this cb77 came up on ebay. Picture below:
It did not look too bad on ebay (they never do!) particularly relative to some of the projects people have taken on board. I had hoped that the engine would have been OK but unfortunately not the case, although it did turn over on stripping down it had obviously weather seized at one point and the combustion chamber is also rusty. The chain for the oil filter had come off and done a bit of damage, RHS crankcase cover cracked and badly repaired etc.
So it is going to be quite a long project. When stripping it down I labelled a box for parts that did not require any work, at the moment it contains the headlamp unit and the rubber tank pads! On first glance the geabox also looked OK and hopefully the crank as well but not much else, so I will certainly be looking for parts, refurbishing etc. Also all the silver parts have been chromed so I need to get them back to silver paint.

My first query is around the red paint colour. I was thinking of getting the frame powder coated, I know there are mixed views on this but it is quite difficult to just get a frame shot blasted round here or the price is not that much less than getting it powder coated. The problem is the coaters work on RAL codes and I have yet to find one suitable, I thought RAL3020 but this is definitely too orange so any thoughts appreciated.

Greg
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Merz64cb77
honda305.com Member

CB77

Post by Merz64cb77 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Hi Greg,
Maybe you can trade/swap the chrome fenders and covers for silver early issue fenders. I have known people who wanted the 68’ issue fenders.
Thanks
67' CB77
66’ CB77
65’ bomber
68’ hellcat

AlanW
honda305.com Member

Post by AlanW » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:09 pm

Greg, the cb77 I am building has RAL 3020 powder coating and I think it looks good but it's your choice on colour.
Al.

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Not too much progress yet following stripping the bike down but I have made a start on the paintwork. The frame has been blasted and primed and I have bought 2 pack undercoat and top coat to do the painting but currently I do not really have room and the weather is not helping.

I soda blasted the tank to remove the paint. As a technique this works really well but it is very messy.. only possible on a calm day when the neighbours are out and I still risk plant damage!

I have also had a go at one of the chromed panels. I have tried sanding down with flap wheels and then used an epoxy primer as research suggested this might be better than an etch primer but for ease I used a 1k aerosol rather than 2 pack but I am not convinced the adhesion is that great. I am also tempted to try electrolytic dechoming.

Today I tried electrolysis to try and deal with the rust in the tank. Plenty of green / brown sludge but hard to tell how successful as there still appears to be plenty of rust.

Greg

honda brian
honda305.com Member

Post by honda brian » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi Greg, just a tip for you. When you are blasting like that, put everything on a big tarpaulin with some support around the sides to lift the tarp. That way the blast media is controlled to some degree and is easier to clean up afterwards. Works for me.
Cheers, Brian.

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:53 pm

Thanks Brian

I definitely need to do something as it makes me very unpopular!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home