Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

New Cb77 project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
olde-goat
honda305.com Member

Starter switch

Post by olde-goat » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:54 am

Great pictures. The actual button on my CA 77 starter switch is missing. Are these all basically the same size? Does anyone reproduce the button? Thanks

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:08 pm

Hi olde-goat

I think you can still buy the button on its own from Honda for the CB77, part number 35317259300. I would guess it would be the same for the CA77 but I do not know.

olde-goat
honda305.com Member

Post by olde-goat » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:40 am

I will have a look, thanks

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:35 pm

Continuing with the electrical work, the next job was the rear brake switch. The internal contact seemed to work but the external wires were hanging on by a thread and the rubber cover could not be reused.

The external wires were resoldered and I found some 20mm diameter end caps that could be used to replace the cover. I know Clauss studios sell reproduction rubber covers but they are very expensive by the time they get to the UK so thought I would use the end caps for now and maybe replace at a later date if I order a few items from Clauss.

The spring and link had previously been sent away for zinc plating.

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:20 pm

The last electrical job was the rectifier. The one I had was scrap and although I wanted to keep the project as original as possible given the low cost of modern regulator/rectifiers this seemed a better option than trying to find a good replacement. To keep it looking fairly standard I cut down the scrap rectifier, resprayed it and mounted the new regulator/rectifier underneath. This was harder than anticipated just because of screws clashing. The new reg/rect was wired up by joining the pink and yellow alternator output wires at the headlamp and fitting a separate fuse in the positive feed.

All the electrics seem to work, I have sparks and lights though the reg/rect is untested.

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:43 pm

I did not have any exhaust collets, These can be purchased new, a set in the UK costs £50 which seems excessive for 4 fairly basic pieces of metal so I decided to try and make some. I purchased some 44.5mm OD, 2mm sidewall steel tube. I cut lengths of 27mm and about 3mm. Put a cut in the 3mm ring, spread it round the top of the 27mm piece and welded the two together. These were then cut in half lengthwise to create a pair of collets.

Although my welding skills are very poor the collets fitted after a bit of grinding and a 2nd set were made.

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:12 am

Well done Greg, nice to see it progressing.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home