Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

New Cb77 project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi Randy

What I did with the end of the cable varied depended on the nipple but essentially I just opened out the cable ends into the available space. The solder pot just gives you a a pot of liquid solder so once the cable end is splayed in the nipple it is coated with flux then just dipped in the solder pot. Using the pot avoids the risk of over heating and damaging the cable and makes it easier to get the solder where it is needed as everything is heated evenly.
No molds or dies.

Greg

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:40 pm

The bike is getting close to completion though there were some major items I did not have. Although I had silencers and downpipes they were in poor condition so I have been waiting for David Silvers to get stock of their reproduction pipes and silencers. I now have them, some problems fitting the downpipes but now in place.
For the seat I do have a seat pan but it is in very poor condition and I am not sure whether it is genuine or not. Looking at all the options I was reluctant to buy from abroad and although there are people making good quality seats here to get one with the metal trim is expensive. What I found was that Wemoto did a seat with trim and Honda printing on the back for about £100. The quality is not great but good value for a useable seat and I can look at something better in the longer term.
The registration was obtained without problems with the nova and a dating certificate from the VJMCC.
There are still some parts I do not have such as the rear mud flap but nothing essential.
I am pretty sure that I have a problem with the charging system so I need to get to the bottom of that then do some test runs as no doubt there will be some teething problems though the weather is not being helpful. At the moment on static testing the bike starts up immediately but does struggle to run on choke then seems OK once there is some heat in the engine.

Particular thanks to DJM, Graham Curtis, Gordon Brown and LM for help and guidance along the way.

Greg

Muddy
honda305.com Member

Post by Muddy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:25 am

Looks outstanding - you should be very proud of your accomplishment.
Thanks.

Regards

Muddy

'64 C72
'63 C72

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:23 am

Beautiful job Greg.

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:47 am

Thanks Muddy, Geoff, though my suggestion that it was nearly finished may have been premature as the charging problem appears to be the alternator rather than anything to do with my wiring or the new reg/rectifier.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:47 pm

Excellent work, Greg!

G

GregMcN wrote:The bike is getting close to completion though there were some major items I did not have. Although I had silencers and downpipes they were in poor condition so I have been waiting for David Silvers to get stock of their reproduction pipes and silencers. I now have them, some problems fitting the downpipes but now in place.
For the seat I do have a seat pan but it is in very poor condition and I am not sure whether it is genuine or not. Looking at all the options I was reluctant to buy from abroad and although there are people making good quality seats here to get one with the metal trim is expensive. What I found was that Wemoto did a seat with trim and Honda printing on the back for about £100. The quality is not great but good value for a useable seat and I can look at something better in the longer term.
The registration was obtained without problems with the nova and a dating certificate from the VJMCC.
There are still some parts I do not have such as the rear mud flap but nothing essential.
I am pretty sure that I have a problem with the charging system so I need to get to the bottom of that then do some test runs as no doubt there will be some teething problems though the weather is not being helpful. At the moment on static testing the bike starts up immediately but does struggle to run on choke then seems OK once there is some heat in the engine.

Particular thanks to DJM, Graham Curtis, Gordon Brown and LM for help and guidance along the way.

Greg
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

GregMcN
honda305.com Member

Post by GregMcN » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:43 pm

Thanks Graham

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home