Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Sol_Stew's CA78

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:27 am

The passenger pegs for the CB72/77 bikes were solid however the CA/CL72/77 bikes came with folding passenger pegs here in the US. .................lm
G-Man wrote:As far as I know, all genuine UK bikes had solid pegs.

The folding pegs have an 810 code so wetre probably a legal requirement in the US.

Even then the passenger pegs were still solid on US bikes, I think.

G
Tim Allman wrote:I see that the CB72 foot pegs are of the rigid variety rather than the hinged ones that seem to be universal on the other side of the Atlantic (from your perspective). Somehow I have ended up with a NOS set of rigid pegs and have always wondered why this difference exists. Any ideas?

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:09 pm

Weird, isn't it?

C100 and C110 had solid passenger pegs in the UK....

G

LOUD MOUSE wrote:The passenger pegs for the CB72/77 bikes were solid however the CA/CL72/77 bikes came with folding passenger pegs here in the US. .................lm
G-Man wrote:As far as I know, all genuine UK bikes had solid pegs.

The folding pegs have an 810 code so wetre probably a legal requirement in the US.

Even then the passenger pegs were still solid on US bikes, I think.

G
Tim Allman wrote:I see that the CB72 foot pegs are of the rigid variety rather than the hinged ones that seem to be universal on the other side of the Atlantic (from your perspective). Somehow I have ended up with a NOS set of rigid pegs and have always wondered why this difference exists. Any ideas?
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Sol_Stew
honda305.com Member

Re: Sol_Stew's CA78

Post by Sol_Stew » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:08 pm

Making some progress finally!
My initial impression of the compression was incorrect- it's actually good only on the left side. I found zero on the right and figure the motor must come to pieces for inspection/repair of the head. Most likely a bent valve.

Found the exact ignition key on eBay a while ago!

I need to source a gasket set.
Also looking at going fully electronic- ignition, regulator, and lithium battery.
Any sources recommended?
Thanks all!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home