Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Code on the frame

Have a part and no Part Number? No idea where it's from and where it goes? Post a description and a photo here!
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:06 pm

The attached statement is prolific more than you know.
I feel I am a GREASE HAND as I not only have obtained data which has/was issued by HONDA and other sources (pics and tests) along with my early experiences of my HONDA'S and other friends HONDA'S as we rode and repaired them.
Joe seized his CB77 engine as we were climbing the HOLLYWOOD freeway incline and we thought he had a tappet problem when the engine sounded like Clink, Clink.
We found the pistons had seized the front and rear so we honed the cylinders and installed new rings and to our disgust the engine wouldn't start!!!
Found that cam and crank had identifying marks which HAD TO BE ALIGNED and when Joe push started it (battery was dead) (SURPRISE) I heard the engine go to high revs then a strange sound followed by silence.
When the engine fired it went to max revs "throttle cable locked open under the tank"!!!!!!
Joe was OK but the ivy in a frond yard was RIPPED!!!!!
We did get the bike running after more work/learning and the total cost for rings and cylinder bore as I recall was about $10.00.
Buy new gaskets and seals.
Why? They looked OK when we took the engine apart and the truth was that the engine didn't leak or have any other problems when we finished the reassemble.
A side story of that CB77 is that one afternoon Joe let me ride it (I rode a 1962 CL72) and as I came to a hard left turn in front of his house I leaned it HARD LEFT and to my surprise the center stand hit the asphalt and the rear wheel lift up so I turned away from the left turn and got the tire down to the asphalt but was headed into the cement curb where I BAILED to the right into a grass yard and the bike jumped the curb and spun into the yard.
I can tell that to my surprise the bike and I suffered not a single problem from this.
Well I did have to explain to my wife why so many areas of my clothes had green/grass stains.
I got a lot of stories of these bikes and my friends who had them in the early 60's.
Later I raced 2 stroke bikes in DESERT RACES in the CALIF. HIGH DESERT and I learned how to break in a new bore and piston and never leave the garage.
My technique worked and I NEVER seized a piston.
THAT'S ANOTHER STORY I can share later if anyone cares. ..............lm

There's so much to learn, especially for those who didn't live in that time.

jensen wrote:Loud Mouse,

First of all I appreciate your reply, thank you.
As I answered the question, I won't take offense.

As it comes to facts, I'm not near as experienced as you LM.

However, I do know my share about engineering, as it's my daily work. I have a very experienced friend with a dynojet and the knowledge how to use it. If you've ridden two strokes, you will know that an engine is no mystery for those who have.

Maybe there are more differences between the models to different country's then we (I) know about. Winkers, tail lights, front lights, colors (here where no white C's in Europe), speedo's, yetting of the carbs, etc. Most common parts are mentioned in the parts manual, but some not. For example the left handle lever bracket and switch gear for the winker type I have on my CB72. As far as I know, there's no part number for it, it's not in the parts manual either (and I have number 1, 2, 3 and 4 for the CB72 / 77). I also have this special taillight for a early C77 with Honda above it, no part number, and not in a manual. I also have some very strange engine cases, CB72, but different.

There's so much to learn, especially for those who didn't live in that time.

Jensen

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:39 am

All good memories & anecdotes, Ed; experience makes us what we become!
.....and I learned how to break in a new bore and piston and never leave the garage.
My technique worked and I NEVER seized a piston.
THAT'S ANOTHER STORY I can share later if anyone cares. ..............lm
Absolutely! That's a story that most, if not all, here would wish you to share, please!

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:55 am

e3steve wrote: That's a story that most, if not all, here would wish you to share, please!
I second that request!

"There's so much to learn, especially for those who didn't live in that time."

Holds true even for those who did!
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:54 am

Hi brewsky,

How should I translate this : "I second that request!"
What does it mean, are there an other way to describe what you mean with this ?

(I'm sorry, but not all English is understood directly)

It took me 5 minutes to understand what LM meant with this sentence, especially the word prolific

"The attached statement is prolific more than you know"

The translator says fertile, like in fertile ground. I know that this is not what it means in this way.
But after a few puzzling moments I figured out.

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:05 am

In a meeting or parliament of any kind, a member will propose a motion (make a suggestion); in order to put that motion (suggestion) to the vote of all members it must be seconded by another member. Hence the use of the verb 'to second' the suggestion.

Jensen, your English is written better than that of most young British college students!!

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:58 am

Thank you Steve,

now I understand it better.

Jensen

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:02 am

Loud Mouse,

I said "As far as I know you didn't wrote a book or guide, like Mr. Silver did, but maybe you should do that, at least I would buy a copy of it". But I remember seeing your name on the list in the Bill Silver engine guide.

Jensen
Last edited by jensen on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home