Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Left side switch

Have a part and no Part Number? No idea where it's from and where it goes? Post a description and a photo here!
conbs
honda305.com Member

Left side switch

Post by conbs » Fri May 21, 2010 5:28 pm

I bought a pile of parts on ebay which included a left-side handlebar switch. At first I didn't notice because most of the plastic covering is broken off of mine. The plastic covering is dark blue. I found this picture of one in good shape. [/img]
It looks like an original Honda part, but I guess could be aftermarket. Mine seems to have 3 positions, but I can't tell for sure. Can anyone tell me what bike(s) this goes on? Is the top half for H/L headlight?
Attachments
Left Side with Blue wrap.jpg

CliffC
honda305.com Member

Post by CliffC » Fri May 21, 2010 5:44 pm

I believe its left side, headlight and horn. Cliff

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

switch

Post by rustywrench » Fri May 21, 2010 6:10 pm

Horn and dimmer switch H/L = high/low Me thinks CL and CB take the same switch. Not sure about CA...............................RW

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Fri May 21, 2010 8:11 pm

CB and CA have the wires running through the bars, CLs outside, so they differ between those models. I have a couple with blue wire sheathing as well, not sure which model they are " correct" for.
davomoto
64 CB77
63-7 CB77 Cafe'
67 CL77
64 CL72
66 CL77 big bore flat tracker
Many others!

conbs
honda305.com Member

Left side switch

Post by conbs » Fri May 21, 2010 11:55 pm

Davomoto,

The mystery switch does indeed have a notch in the bottom half for the wire to run outside the handlebar, so appears to be for CL, but there are two things:

1. I am not totally sure the notch is "factory" feature. It looks a tad rough, but might be original, and if so that would make it a CL switch, but not correct for CB or CA.

2. It has 4 wires with apparently a 3 position switch on the top. So I guess it would be Horn and then Power for top switch with A and B switched wires. If it is for a CL, why would it have 3 positions on the top switch? No winkers on a CL ( I think). If it was for High and Low beam headlight, would it go to "off" in the center position? That doesn't sound like a very good idea and would be totally un-necessary. The wires do look like the Blue/Red/Green/Black scheme for horn/light swich.

I will put a meter on it and see what circuits the top switch creates. Thanks for your help.

conbs
honda305.com Member

Left side switch

Post by conbs » Fri May 21, 2010 11:56 pm

Davomoto,

The mystery switch does indeed have a notch in the bottom half for the wire to run outside the handlebar, so appears to be for CL, but there are two things:

1. I am not totally sure the notch is "factory" feature. It looks a tad rough, but might be original, and if so that would make it a CL switch, but not correct for CB or CA.

2. It has 4 wires with apparently a 3 position switch on the top. So I guess it would be Horn and then Power for top switch with A and B switched wires. If it is for a CL, why would it have 3 positions on the top switch? No winkers on a CL ( I think). If it was for High and Low beam headlight, would it go to "off" in the center position? That doesn't sound like a very good idea and would be totally un-necessary. The wires do look like the Blue/Red/Green/Black scheme for horn/light swich.

I will put a meter on it and see what circuits the top switch creates. Thanks for your help.

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Sat May 22, 2010 1:26 am

Hi,

It could be a European winker switch (CB72 / 77).
I have a few too, here in the Netherlands you need to have the winker switch left (regulations), and not on the right hand. The reason of that regulation is that one can not twist the throttle and use the winker switch with one hand. On modern bikes you will never find the winker switch on the right side, always on the left.

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home