Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Left side switch

Have a part and no Part Number? No idea where it's from and where it goes? Post a description and a photo here!
conbs
honda305.com Member

Left side switch

Post by conbs » Sat May 22, 2010 11:24 am

Put a meter on the mystery switch. Meter says:

Black is horn.

Green is power for top switch.

Blue and Red are A and B output of top switch.

I looked in Bill Silver's restoration guide for CB and CL. The schematics for both bikes show a brown power wire for the H/L switch instead of green. My CL switch has that color scheme, with 2 position switch, not threee.

On the Silver's CD for Dreams there is a wiring diagram for C77 that shows the green power wire in the H/L switch. The only issue is this is a 3 position switch where the headlight would be "off" in the middle position. Boy, that sounds like a bad idea.

Jensen, if this is a European winker switch, shouldn't it have the Gray/Orange/Lt Blue/Yellow and red colored wires?

The notch for wires running outside handlebars indicates it is a CL H/L per Davomoto. The Green power wire seems to indicate it is a CA H/L per Silvers manual. The 3-position switch is like a winker switch, but it does not have the right colored wires for winker circuits.

Other ideas?

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Sat May 22, 2010 11:44 am

It is headlight high / low and horn. The mddle position is off for headlight, an old trick to get more chrge to the battery was to run headlight switch on the bucket in on position, and bar switch in off position. The CL switch has a hole for wire, not a notch, so someone modified it .
davomoto
64 CB77
63-7 CB77 Cafe'
67 CL77
64 CL72
66 CL77 big bore flat tracker
Many others!

conbs
honda305.com Member

Mystery switch

Post by conbs » Sat May 22, 2010 1:02 pm

Davomoto,

My CL switch has a hole and not a notch as you point out. How did I miss that? It only has a 2 position switch though, so the trick you mentioned would not work.

So, am I correct that the H/L switch middle position would shut off the headlight and the bucket switch in the "lights" position would activate a different winding in the dynamo, thus providing more juice to the battery?

I also noticed that the horn button on my CL switch does not have the "TEC" logo like my other switches. My old eyes have problems with details, but it looks like a little crab on the bottom and a circle or globe with a banner across it vertically above the crab. It is pretty small and hard to distinguish, but that is what it looks like. Am I even close? Does it have any significance?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

conbs
honda305.com Member

Mystery switch

Post by conbs » Sat May 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Davomoto,

My CL switch has a hole and not a notch as you point out. How did I miss that? It only has a 2 position switch though, so the trick you mentioned would not work.

So, am I correct that the H/L switch middle position would shut off the headlight and the bucket switch in the "lights" position would activate a different winding in the dynamo, thus providing more juice to the battery?

I also noticed that the horn button on my CL switch does not have the "TEC" logo like my other switches. My old eyes have problems with details, but it looks like a little crab on the bottom and a circle or globe with a banner across it vertically above the crab. It is pretty small and hard to distinguish, but that is what it looks like. Am I even close? Does it have any significance?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

conbs
honda305.com Member

Left side switch

Post by conbs » Sat May 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Put a meter on the mystery switch. Meter says:

Black is horn.

Green is power for top switch.

Blue and Red are A and B output of top switch.

I looked in Bill Silver's restoration guide for CB and CL. The schematics for both bikes show a brown power wire for the H/L switch instead of green. My CL switch has that color scheme, with 2 position switch, not threee.

On the Silver's CD for Dreams there is a wiring diagram for C77 that shows the green power wire in the H/L switch. The only issue is this is a 3 position switch where the headlight would be "off" in the middle position. Boy, that sounds like a bad idea.

Jensen, if this is a European winker switch, shouldn't it have the Gray/Orange/Lt Blue/Yellow and red colored wires?

The notch for wires running outside handlebars indicates it is a CL H/L per Davomoto. The Green power wire seems to indicate it is a CA H/L per Silvers manual. The 3-position switch is like a winker switch, but it does not have the right colored wires for winker circuits.

Other ideas?

conbs
honda305.com Member

multiple posting

Post by conbs » Sat May 22, 2010 1:22 pm

I am getting multiple postings and I have no idea why. I am hitting the submit button once. Not doing anything else that I know of. In this thread I noticed a prior post, reposted after an interim post (after the first one)

What am I doing wrong?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home