Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Clutch pack, First plate ??

Have a part and no Part Number? No idea where it's from and where it goes? Post a description and a photo here!
Scram64
honda305.com Member

Clutch pack, First plate ??

Post by Scram64 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:27 pm

I was working on CL72 / 77 clutch parts today and I came across this first (bottom) plate made in Ca.
It is aluminum cast with BTE cast into it.
Anyone familiar with this aftermarket part.

Also, I did not find a cush hub to build my assembly, will someone post a close-up of the cush sandwich so I know what I'm looking for.
Attachments
2011_0322clutch-AM0002.JPG
clutch-AM0001.JPG
2011_0322clutch-AM0003.JPG
2011_0322clutch-AM0004.JPG

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Clutch pack, First plate ??

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:55 pm

It is a Barnett plate and I think that issue is magnesium.
I've removed 3 of them from old clutches and all were warped Back From the Contact point of the center hub.
Get a steel one. ...............lm
Scram64 wrote:I was working on CL72 / 77 clutch parts today and I came across this first (bottom) plate made in Ca.

Also, I did not find a cush hub to build my assembly, will someone post a close-up of the cush sandwich so I know what I'm looking for.

Tim Miller
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Miller » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:02 pm

Hey Scam, The thick alloy plate came with the old Barrnet clutch kits. The fibers were red and they worked OK but the new Barrnets are made with Kevlar and much better. If you really want the clutch to work good then buy there super flat steels. The hole cush hub thing is over rated. you just need the above with a decent springs.

Tim
Scram64 wrote:I was working on CL72 / 77 clutch parts today and I came across this first (bottom) plate made in Ca.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:01 pm

The hole cush hub thing is over rated. you just need the above with a decent springs.

I disagree with the above because when HONDA issued the Cush Drive assembly the CA/CB/CL72/77 clutch problems were ended.
Barnett made friction parts which fit the HONDA hubs where HONDA did a complete redesign of the clutch.
The forum may want ta know that there were/are many Barnett friction plates (friction and steel) designs over the years as they made parts for many other clutches which would install in the HONDA parts.
In their day they were much better than the HONDA plates made of fiber.
HONDA eventually solved their clutch problems with the Cush Drive design issue.
Outer hub, center hub, pressure plate, friction plates, thicker 1st steel plate and the other 4 steel plates are designed to not warp.
Even if ya purchase the Barnett parts ya will still have the early outer hub( no neoprene at the rivets and between the aluminum and sprocket) centers and pressure plate.
Price the cost of just the Barnett plates (friction and steel) $$$ and then choose the springs ya want and consider the total for a old design with expensive parts inside.
If anyone wants Barnett friction plates I have several used friction plate sets of different designs (they changed them often) that I have removed from engines that $10.00 and mail and they are yours.
I'll put one of my Cush Drive clutches (all used parts) against any HONDA early clutches with Barnett plates and it will work just as well as the Barnett. ----$$$ .................lm

Tim Miller wrote:Hey Scam, The thick alloy plate came with the old Barrnet clutch kits. The fibers were red and they worked OK but the new Barrnets are made with Kevlar and much better. If you really want the clutch to work good then buy there super flat steels. The hole cush hub thing is over rated. you just need the above with a decent springs.

Tim

Scram64
honda305.com Member

Clutch Pack, first plate ??

Post by Scram64 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks Guys, Is the Cush Hub really overrated? I have new OEM aluminum fiber and steel plates and 3/4 of the 275-810 springs to build a new assembly.Scram64

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Clutch Pack, first plate ??

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:20 pm

The 810 springs will work however a little more pressure will be felt at the lever.
If ya need one spring let me know PM. ......lm
Scram64 wrote:Thanks Guys, Is the Cush Hub really overrated? I have new OEM aluminum fiber and steel plates and 3/4 of the 275-810 springs to build a new assembly.Scram64

Scram64
honda305.com Member

Clutch pack, first plate

Post by Scram64 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Loud Mouse, I have been following your advice on clutch assemblys for years. I respect your years of experience and I would not consider Barnett parts.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Scram64

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home