Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Shipping cost

Bought anything recently? Liked it? Hated it? Post your review...
Jethro
honda305.com Member

Shipping cost

Post by Jethro » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:03 pm

So I went to go order some parts from PartsPitStop today. A cam chain master link, 4 new piston pin c-clips and 3 new starter clutch roller springs for my ca77. Total for those parts, just over $15.00. Shipping alone was over $15.00 for a total of over $31.00. This seems like a lot for just a few small parts. Am I being stingy or does this seem like a lot of $ for shipping such small parts?

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Re: Shipping cost

Post by cyclon36 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:53 pm

Jethro wrote:So I went to go order some parts from PartsPitStop today. A cam chain master link, 4 new piston pin c-clips and 3 new starter clutch roller springs for my ca77. Total for those parts, just over $15.00. Shipping alone was over $15.00 for a total of over $31.00. This seems like a lot for just a few small parts. Am I being stingy or does this seem like a lot of $ for shipping such small parts?
Depends on how they ship it and how far. We typically pay at the very least $8 for a small package to ship via UPS. That's the commercial rate for UPS. If you went into a UPS store, you get $15 or thereabouts. Don't forget the box they put it in cost money. Might only be $0.50 or it might be $1 if they're not thrifty. Then is the time to package it and wrap it up and collect the parts or the "handeling" fee. Then, on top of that you charge another dollar or so because shipping is always an income segment if you do it properly and if you don't do it properly, you're not destined to be in business.

Anytime my shop ships something out, it's $15 minumum. In the end, there's a lot more that goes into shipping a package than just the cost to physically ship it.

Now, if you're getting USPS for $15, you have cause for complaint unless your ordering out of country.

Jethro
honda305.com Member

Post by Jethro » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

Right on. That makes me feel a little better. I guess I was just surprised that it was going to be 15 bucks just to ship a few small parts. With tires added to my order it was going to be over 60 bucks just for the shipping. But when I sent my cylinder head to Ed Moore that was only like 24 for shipping through fed ex. Maybe I'm just a cheap mofo. Sorry you had to put up with my b**ching.

Jethro.

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:58 pm

Jethro wrote:Right on. That makes me feel a little better. I guess I was just surprised that it was going to be 15 bucks just to ship a few small parts. With tires added to my order it was going to be over 60 bucks just for the shipping. But when I sent my cylinder head to Ed Moore that was only like 24 for shipping through fed ex. Maybe I'm just a cheap mofo. Sorry you had to put up with my b**ching.

Jethro.

No problem. This part of the forum is for random talk like this anyway. If you want to hear bitching, ask me about buying american made products.

You don't really think about these things until you see it from both sides. Being a small business owner will open your eyes up to a lot of things and while it makes you become thrifty in some areas, it makes you understand paying more for things in other areas.

I use to work for a company that upcharged shipping by 40% and overnighted everything unless you requested not to. That meant $150 shipping on just about anything. Most of the time it was to larger companies so nobody said anything b/c the guy paying for it wasn't spending his money. Every now and then you got an average Joe that bought something and got bent over a rail because he missed the fine print.

Dgormley
honda305.com Member

Shipping prices

Post by Dgormley » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:10 pm

Jethro, If you ever want to experience real, honest, shipping prices, order something from retro-bikes. Their prices on product and shipping are some of the lowest I have encountered........................D

bbap
honda305.com Member

Post by bbap » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:26 pm

I think as a consumer you must price compare the product plus the shipping. I believe that the shipping is often a profit center. You just need to compare the item plus the shipping and then take into consideration, of course, the reputation and the quality of the item. All those go into my purchasing. I just ordered from Ohio Cycle and the shipping was under $10. Did I pay too much for the individual parts? Possibly but I did compare with 2 other companies and they offered the best deal and had a good rep. I will go to them first on my next order, but I will still do some price comparisons. You can drive yourself crazy on this, but if you have the time and you want to save money then compare. If you don't have much time and/or money is no object, I suspect you would not have broached the subject. As for me and my house, I have time and I am a frugal Dutchmen! :)
CA78 - 3111XX - Frame
CA77E - 3161XX - Engine

bikedoctor99
honda305.com Member

Re: Shipping prices

Post by bikedoctor99 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:28 am

Dgormley wrote:Jethro, If you ever want to experience real, honest, shipping prices, order something from retro-bikes. Their prices on product and shipping are some of the lowest I have encountered........................D
I've ordered from both Retro and Ohio and I believe they use USPS, less expensive than the rest, and very timely. We ship at work and consider that "shipping" is an accommodation to the sale, others see an additional profit. allan

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home