Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

David Silver silencers

Bought anything recently? Liked it? Hated it? Post your review...
modelman
honda305.com Member

David Silver silencers

Post by modelman » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:07 am

Anyone bought these??
Got mine the other day with other stuff, unwrapped & initially pleased, but when I tried to insert the baffles, they stopped short as they hit something inside, probably something simple such as a bit of grinding, but I would have thought whoever manufactured them would have at least tried them for fit etc.

Its not a one off however, BOTH the same, even tried swapping them around, same problem.
Attachments
Silencer-1.jpg
Silencer-1.jpg (321.59 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
Silencer-2.jpg
Silencer-2.jpg (216.08 KiB) Viewed 2156 times

SMBH
honda305.com Member

Post by SMBH » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:16 pm

Yes I purchased a pair when I was at the Stafford Classic Bike show 25 April 2015, but they would not fit the front mounting hole did not line up see pic

The bottom is the new David Silver with the round hole the top I understand is a very early David Silver pair with a oval hole and this fits just right.
I contacted D/S they confirmed the hole should have been oval and they said they would exchange them when new ones come but I am STILL WAITING after two months.

Will post when I get the exchange and also the fit and quality as of now the quality looks very good with nice welds and good finish.

modelman
honda305.com Member

Post by modelman » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:42 pm

Oh dear, mine look the same as yours, but I won't know for months whether they will fit or not!!

That elongated mount-hole looks a bit 'amateur/bodge' to me.

But my original question is still about the fitment of the baffles, do yours go all the way into the body??

SMBH
honda305.com Member

Post by SMBH » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:01 pm

Only tried one and yes the baffle do's go into the silencer, I have not opened the other silencer box as I do not wish to use them if the right side do's not fit.

Have you shone a torch in the end to have a look to see if there is any obstruction.

Have you got the oval hole in the front fitting ?

Have you contacted D/S the guy to talk to is Karl I understand.

Do let us know how you get on as these silencers are not cheep I purchased mine at the show so no postage and less VAT.

Torch is a flash light and silencers are mufflers for you US guys.

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:19 pm

Thank you for the clarification.

PhilD
honda305.com Member

Dave Silver Silencers

Post by PhilD » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:57 pm

I have recently bought a pair of these. They line up perfectly with the mounting points though neither of the baffles would go completely into the ends of the silencers. Careful inspection revealed that this was because where the indents had been formed in the baffle tubes the compression had forced material outwards such that the diameter perpendicular to the indent is increased slightly and will not pass through the holes in the baffle plates in the end of the silencer. A few minutes work squeezing the baffles back into a more circular cross section at these points in a vice solved the problem. It's a shame that this wasn't picked up by the manufacturers as otherwise these are nice looking silencers and good value.
Phil D
1964 CB72
1964 CB77

SMBH
honda305.com Member

Post by SMBH » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:03 pm

PhilD were the front mounting holes oval or round (see my earlier post) on your D/S silencers?

Today I rang D/S and David Silver himself got back to me, he agreed the hole should have been oval and not round on the front mounting so at the moment I have left it with him to sort out he say's he will get back to me.

My concern is am I the only one that has had this problem with the front hole not lining up, I see there are some 10 pairs in stock at D/S.

Has any one got original silencers (mufflers) and are the front holes oval or round ?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home