Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Cold Weather Clothing?

Bought anything recently? Liked it? Hated it? Post your review...
Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Cold Weather Clothing?

Post by Vince Lupo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:31 am

Didn't quite know where to post this subject, so we'll try here and see what happens....

I don't really do a whole lot of cold weather riding, but I'm wondering if anyone out there does, and what they use in terms of gloves/mitts to keep warm. I've been looking at Gerbing's line of gloves, but many of them are of the type that plug into your bike's battery, which I'd rather not do (particularly given the marginal charging systems on our bikes). They do offer a lithium-ion battery powered option, but with a $200 glove, plus a $100 optional battery kit, that's getting a bit expensive for me. They do sell a pair of mitts (under their 'Core Heat' line), but they 'aren't recommended for use on motorcycles' because they are only 7v power, rather than the 12v ones that are specifically targeted at motorcycle riders. Not that I'm necessarily looking for 12 hours of toasty-warm heat, but at least something to take the chill off for 3-4 hours of riding.

So what are you cold weather riders using to keep warm? I think my budget would be somewhere around $100, given the amount of riding I do in colder weather.

Thanks!

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:35 am

Other than the best cold weather riding gloves you can find, probably the best thing you can do is add some handguards to block the wind.

Many use the Suzuki SV 650 adapted, or there are several aftermarket choices.
http://www.cmsnl.com/products/coverknuc ... 131d20019/

Or, if you don't really care about looks, check out some "hippo hands"
http://www.hippohands.com/Hippo%20Hands.htm
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:05 am

Actually, I don't half-mind those Hippohands! Maybe what I should do is email them a photo of my bike, handlebars, etc, and see which one they'd recommend. Many thanks for that suggestion!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home