honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

How many years have you been riding a motorcycle?

Who said it was only about Motorcycles? What else do you collect, restore, enjoy... ?
Gun
honda305.com Member

Post by Gun » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:18 pm

I have been riding for 3 years now.
Bought my first bike, my cb77, about 3 years and a half years ago.
Rode the hawk for a year after resto, but then the engine needed serious work,
bought a vulcan 800 and have been riding that for the last 2 years, year round. Plenty of snow from nov-march where I live ya know.

Have a lot to learn, but I've taken the motorcycle safety courses to learn some good habits and maneuvers.

I spend more time working on my bikes than riding them, it seems!
hopefully i can get the rebuild of the superhawk RIGHT this time and ride it for many years to come.
'65 CB77
'66 CB450k0
'93 HD FXR

Sascha
honda305.com Member

Post by Sascha » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:38 pm

Ive been riding for 5 years now, ive gone through quite a few bikes and scooters...

Year 1: I started on an Derbi bullet and moved on to a vespa in the same year *SOLD BOTH*
Year 2: Honda CB400T (Cafe Racer conversion) *SOLD*
Year 3: Hyosung GT650R *SOLD*
Year 4: '66 Honda 305 dream *Keeping it until I die*
Year 5: '66 Honda 305 dream (rebuilt) *Keeping it until I die*

Never been in an accident, love bikes, love wrenching them as much as I enjoy riding em! ;)
Im still a young gun though, im only 26 so hopefully in 40 years I will look back and be able to pitch numbers like some of these guys!

-Sascha

bonjour
honda305.com Member

Post by bonjour » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:10 pm

Ive been riding for about 8 years now, started when I was 16 on a Yamaha DT50MX 1987

These bike's where freaking unreliable !
But what a joy to ride, probably one of the best and comfortable mopeds ever made, and so tough !
Only downside was the engine, with is 2 plate clutch and breaker points.
Really, unreliable, every week something failed.

I had 3 of them ( I just did not want to give up on these bikes ! lol ! )
Took one of them to the Belgium Ardens and plowed trough the wood and mudy roads.
Strangely, this was really where the bike was made for, and that week, the bike did not let me down. If you treat it like you stole it, it would get you anywhere !

Then, after 3 of these bikes failed every time, I quitted with these 2 stroke's and Honda stole my heart, bought a Honda CB50 , and still have it, and drive it ever since. And NEVER let me down !
Not much later a Honda PC50 came, but I gave it to my father. From time to time he's taking it for a spin :D The ol' man loves it, funny little ol' bike :)

Then I grew older and went for my motorcycle drivers licence, got it the first time, and got me Honda CBR600 from 1998 , limited for 25KW/40HP , because of my age. But did'nt bother me, the things was fast ! (although im an easy rider) , crashed it to a concrete block on the road.
It was morning, low sun in my face, and the block was the same color of the road, So seeing it was nearly impossible. 2 other people also crashed against it I later heard.
So that was the end of the CBR600, no injuries though.

Then I got me a Yamaha XT500 (which I always wanted, it was the big brother of my first love, the DT50) .
Drove it for 6 months, and got an accident. Car didn't see me, I didn't see the car :|
Totalled, but maybe it's restorable, still need to check it and see if the frame is straight.

So, here we now are, now I got me a Honda CB77 , and restoring it. Almost done now ;)

Well, thats my motorcycle lifetime so far I guess, many years to come.

Im also a young guy, even younger then Sascha, im 23 :D
Not many people of our age's love these old bikes, which is sad.

When all my projects are done im planning on something 1920~30 ish.
'Of course I've already taken a very modest position on the monetary system, I do take the position that we should just end the Fed.' - Ron Paul

harryzx-12
honda305.com Member

how much riding experence?

Post by harryzx-12 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:48 pm

I got my first bike when i was 14 (1969). I had saved all my money one summer to buy a mini trail 50 when my dad asked me hadn't i really rather have a real motorcycle? I couldn't believe it. My parents both were dead set against motorcycle.I had bike pictures and scuba diving pics covering my whole wall. I love bikes.My first bike was a red 305 dream.
I've owned a lot of bikes and always wanted a superhawk. My chance came a few years ago. I bought a cb-77 off ebay for $175. I wasn't expecting much but was supprised almost all the parts were there.No key but the honda tool kit seems complete. I am getting started on the rebuild.I will post pics on a new thread this week.

I have made almost 3,000 dives all over the world. I still have a few bike pics on my wall!

jgregg
honda305.com Member

first bike

Post by jgregg » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:30 pm

well im well behind most of you. rode some little mopeds in the desert but nothing till I had a summer job in dallas, spent an entire month of salary on a new 84 yamaha 250. taught myself how to get it into gear and ride it 30 miles home. poor transmission, not sure i ever got it out of 2nd. lol. later moved up to a 400 yamaha, rode husbands 550 honda, 2 sportsters, one softail deluxe, one ural and sidecar later and im back to the baby bikes. lol love my 62 dream. and i know its not original, changed the paint and seat, but love it. and thanks to all of you for helping me get it running. still a long way to go to catch up with you guys. jackie
Attachments
Dream.jpg
62 CA77
65 CA77-parting out slowly

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home