Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Motorized bicycles... I build em.

Who said it was only about Motorcycles? What else do you collect, restore, enjoy... ?
dppeter
honda305.com Member

Post by dppeter » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:20 pm

The "Bike Bug" had three different names; Bike Bug, Tas Spitz, and Free Spirit (sold by Sears). They were all made by Tanaka Industries. They had three different models I know of. The basic one without a cover, a delux model with the plastic cover and somewhat larger gas tank, and another covered model with a centrifical clutch. I have all three models and the one with the clutch makes life a little easier. Otherwise when you come to a stop, you brake, downshift the bike, throttle down, and then disengage the motor. It seems like a lot of things going on at once.

wordman5
honda305.com Member

Post by wordman5 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:34 pm

Ah, then mine was the Tas Spitz. Yes, I remember having to throttle down with a thumb lever, braking, and reaching forward and down to reach the chrome handle that would lift the motor off the tire. What fun! Would you mind posting some pics of your motors?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home