Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Motorized bicycles... I build em.

Who said it was only about Motorcycles? What else do you collect, restore, enjoy... ?
4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:38 pm

Rusty Bikes wrote:Thanks for that.
Heck yes they were rideable and would hit speeds of over 30 MPH on the flats on the 55' Schwinn.
It irks me to see guys build "Show" quality bikes that never get started or ridden.
Rusty
Your welcome but I guess I'm one of the guys that will "Irk" you. I did my Dream with no intention of riding it. I got a new Wing that I hardly get time to use and the Dream was restored because the guy I bought it from let it run down to the point where If I didn't do it when I did another year or two it might have been just a junker. That being said mine runs great and is ready to roll. Even put a new bat in the beast. Just ad the fuel and jump on. Who know's. I may get tempted some day! I do admire your work on those bikes and glad to hear you have enjoyed them. Ride safe!

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:46 pm

smithenhiven wrote:Thanks for all the info. I've been spending the past few days looking at old 1950's style bikes. I really like this one, and think I might get it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/J-C-Higgins-bicycle ... dZViewItem

The only thing I'm concerned about is, is there anyway to know if this bike will "free wheel" (sorry, I don't know the exact term if there is one) when you're not pedaling it?
Gee I would think those old bikes would coast if you wern't peddeling them. Everyone I used did it anyway! I really like the old balloon style bikes like the one your looking at on Ebay.
Attachments
Here is the auction photo... [MS]
Here is the auction photo... [MS]

Rusty Bikes
honda305.com Member

JC Higgins bike

Post by Rusty Bikes » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:00 pm

I just have two concerns about that bike.
They don't say what the wheel size is.
It could be a 24" it could also be a 26" Middle weight not a "Balooner".
I would ask the tire size.
Rusty

rrekr
honda305.com Member

Post by rrekr » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:23 pm

I think the bike you are referencing will freewheel. Bikes made in this era had a Bendix Brake. There is no picture of the bike that would indicate if it is there (just a lever coming from the rear hub with a sheet metal strap fastened around the frame), but I would be surprised if it was not originally made this way.

wordman5
honda305.com Member

Post by wordman5 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:38 pm

I, too, love bicycles with engines. I have a Whizzer and a couple of Trojan bicycle motors. The Trojans are British-made, and sit above the rear wheel and drive the rear tire via friction roller. By the way, I've also got a Honda PC50, which is a 49cc chain drive moped, and it'll kick the 138cc belt drive Whizzer any day of the week!

dppeter
honda305.com Member

Post by dppeter » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:23 am

Those bikes are very cool.
I got into restoring old Tanaka "Bike Bug" engines a couple years ago. I now have six of the little jewels. They were sold during the 60's and 70's. They mount above the front wheel and use a friction roller to power the bike. The best part about them is running them down a city street in the summer when the kids are outside playing. You should see their eyes light up when I roll by!

wordman5
honda305.com Member

Post by wordman5 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:30 pm

Cool! I know exactly of what you speak. I had one (although I don't think it was a Bike Bug, similar engine but it had a big plastic cover over it -- I ran it without the cover) that I purchased for $40 and installed it on a 1972 Raleigh Sports 3-speed bicycle. I ran it for a couple of seasons, and it would routinely stop traffic. I sometimes think it's the more pedestrian modes of transport that are exciting.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home