Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Honda C200

Who said it was only about Motorcycles? What else do you collect, restore, enjoy... ?
4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:14 pm

Excuse the pun but it runs like a "Dream". I know what you mean, I've seen much worst as well. The bike got 5707 miles on the clock and the engine needs nothing only a little cleaning so I get a break on this one.

PS. It's nice to know someone is out there looking at this stuff!

rrekr
honda305.com Member

Post by rrekr » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:11 pm

Paul,
I (among many others) really enjoy the pictures you put up on this forum. Your restoration projects are always an inspiration, even though I have never met anybody that could accomplish as much as you do in the same time frame. If it doesn't cause any family strife, I hope you keep at it.
Thanks, Randy

rrekr
honda305.com Member

Post by rrekr » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:16 pm

Paul,
I forgot, would you please post pictures and a process description as to how you restored the engine to the state I'm sure it will be when you're finished?
Thanks,Randy

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:16 am

rrekr wrote:Paul,
I forgot, would you please post pictures and a process description as to how you restored the engine to the state I'm sure it will be when you're finished?
Thanks,Randy

Will do Randy although this engine will be an easy one because I don't have any internal stuff to do with it but there are other things cosmetically I will post pics of. When I did the Cub C100 I posted some pics of the engine and it's contents and how I did it. If you didn't see it you can go to C100 Honda Cub below in this section and see it.

Keeping your request in mind I'll make the engine section of the restoration more detailed and hopefully someone can point out what I'm doing wrong :)

I appreciate your thoughts and interest. It's hard to believe that I've only been restoring these old bikes for a little over a year and in that year I'll have five of the bikes fully restored. After this C200 is completed which will be less than two weeks from now I'll have the 1984 C70 Passport to do and then I'm retiring from bike restorations and just sit back and just read the posts on this site instead of hogging it all the time :) Paul

rrekr
honda305.com Member

Post by rrekr » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:38 am

Paul,
Thanks for the reply. I was more curious as to how you went about the external cleaning and refinishing process.
Thanks and keep up the good work,Randy

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:48 am

rrekr wrote:Paul,
Thanks for the reply. I was more curious as to how you went about the external cleaning and refinishing process.
Thanks and keep up the good work,Randy
Thanks my friend. The engine is on the bench now with it's gasket kit and as soon as I get through this bit of work that rolled in the shop I'll be starting at it. Keep your eyes peeled! Paul

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:15 pm

Ok. Now I'm into the motor part of the restoration and I've added some pictures of how I clean up the engine.

This is a perfectly working motor so I don't need to do anything internally with it so I lucked out there.

After getting the grime off the motor by using engine degreaser and a pressure washer I then taped up the sections of the motor I wanted to polish later. My plan was to bead blast the motor to etch the casing so when I went to apply the paint it would have a good surface to adhere to. If I bead blasted the areas that I wanted to polish It would make it very difficult to get a good shine.

As always I plugged and sealed every portion of the motor. I left the intake and carb on at this time because it made it easier to plug that intake area.

After I bead blasted the motor I removed the tape and all the plugs. I then removed the engine parts I wanted to polish.

I did notice that this bike was dropped at some point and there was a crack in the clutch cover housing so I had to set up the TIG outfit and repair that.

When the repair was made I buffed a few parts and as you can see in the last picture there is a difference. Tomorrow I'll polish the other parts that I need to do and paint the other parts. Stay tuned and don't change the channel! :) Paul

See the difference in the etched parts below?

Not nice. I found a crack!!!

Below is the weld. It will be dressed and good as new again!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home