Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Twin CT90's: fixing up two trail 90's

Who said it was only about Motorcycles? What else do you collect, restore, enjoy... ?
clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Post by clarenceada » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:25 am

Mark, nice looking bike there! And you say it's never been painted? For $80? You got lucky; up here in the pacific "rain forest " most 90's from the 60's are so trashed and rusted they're not rebuildable. When I was looking for parts bikes this summer I found 3 of these ct200's down in a little moldy town on the south coast, called Langlois, that a guy was selling for $300 and I took a look at them. They had been setting under a big myrtlewood tree and had moss and small trees growing through them; so I passed. I really would like to have gotten a couple of these push rod bikes as they have a special memory for me. My older sister and her husband had two of these back in 1970 when I got out of Viet Nam and after my dad dieing in the spring of '70 and my mom moving from northern Minn to Sacramento (talk about a cultural shock) I stayed at their place in Burney in northern cal. for the summer. Me and my 15 yr old nephew, wore them two 90's out riding the trail's around town and up around mount Burney, the freedom and solitude of the mountains helped me thru a hard time in my life. I don't remember doing more than putting oil and gas then riding them all day long, tough bikes.

I know when Honda changed from ct200 like this:

http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0090/tra ... ail200.htm

To the ct90 like this:

http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0090/trail90/trail90.htm

they went from the push-rod to the OHC engine is there any other changes?

Thanks

Clarence

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Post by clarenceada » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:48 am

Here is two of the exhaust's, can anybody tell me what year each of these are?: one has horizontal openings in the chrome heat shield, the other vertical, I can't tell by looking at the Honda gallery on-line.

Thanks

Clarence

Wilf
honda305.com Member

Post by Wilf » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:07 am

My 1968 CT90 K0 has the same exhaust as the top one in your photo, and I believe it to be original.

Wilf

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Post by clarenceada » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:04 am

I pick-up another CT 90 the other day and it made me think about this 90 so I looked up it's thread and was suprised that it was a almost a year ago since I last added to It; this old bike deserves better than that. So here is a picture of it after I had it running for a couple of months:

It's an easy starter (you don't have to kick it---just sort of push it down and it takes right off) and shifts like new and the clutch is strong. What's amazing about these old CT's is not the fact that after a top end rebuild it runs great, but that I didn't have to do anything to the lower unit. Unless they have been under-water these bottom-ends and transmission are nearly indistructable; I have fixed many of these bikes over the years and 3/4 I have never had to touch the inside of the case--put clutch plates into it ever 20 yrs or so and your good to go. Also they are the best bike to have around town; you can jump a curb and not worry about the transmission---it's got a skid pan you could skat-board down a steel pipe! I had several Cb350's two and four cylinder and I would be more apt to jump on the 90 to go to the corner store---it having a luggage rack didn't hurt.

Clarence

Sascha
honda305.com Member

Post by Sascha » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:16 pm

Clarence, I am pretty sure you are the man... Nice collection of toys man!
-Sascha

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home