Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Twin CT90's: fixing up two trail 90's

Who said it was only about Motorcycles? What else do you collect, restore, enjoy... ?
clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Twin CT90's: fixing up two trail 90's

Post by clarenceada » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:56 am

welcome:
to my attempt to make some sense out of a collection of Ct 90 parts I bought off Craigslist in the windy coastal town of Coos Bay, Oregon. This thread is going to be a little different then usual restoration journals posted on h305.com as I live out in the country about 22 miles from Coos Bay and we are on what I call "farmers high-speed". Because we are too far from the nearest Verison phone hub (Maximum distant is about 3.5 miles) we can't get their high-speed service; plus we are about the same distance from the closest Cable tv connection, so no high-speed there either. We get our tv from Directv Satellite and have looked into Hughes net, but due to their limited Band width on the sats. I have heard that they throttle you down to dial-up speed if you go over a certain down-load maximum for the month. With three computers churning away at max speed with our large family I could imagine we would hit the max pretty soon. So I put up with dial-up till two years ago a local computer shop set up a ad-hock network with Radio transmissions using flyswatter antenna from the local town; the relay radio that feeds the antenna
on our roof is attached to a local farmers silo (I'm not kidding).
So...it's not that dependable and we have outages all the time and I never know when it's going to quit which after typing in a long post I'm real nervous that I'm going to lose it.....so I'm going to send in small posts.

Also I am doing two bikes at once, as I have enough parts to do a least two (have three frames and numerous cases and heads) altho one of them is a little more equal than the other. In addition to the truck load of parts bikes I got in coos bay, I also bought a bike from Pineapple Dave (thanks dude!) in Roseburg before I was back on this forum and it was the catalyst to get me back into ct90's as I had several back in the 80's and 90's.

I am about 3/4 of the way to being done with the best of the lot but I have misplaced one of the camera chips from the first part of the clean-up and if I find it I'll post it later so these may not be chronological posted.

nuf said, here is the first pic:

Clarence

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

ct90 picture

Post by clarenceada » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:25 am

When I try to send attachments, I get this message: file size for all attachments has been reached, please contact administrator.

The picture I'm trying to send is only139kb, does anybody know what the problem could be?

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

posting pix

Post by jleewebb » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:18 am

Wonder when the unseen hand(s) here are going to fix this problem? In the meantime, here's Spargett's (and others') way of doing it:

"Set up either a Flickr or Photobucket account. Free and easy. Here's the code for embedding images into the forum.

Or you can just paste the link, then highlight it and click the "Img" button in the toolbar when posting."

One of these rainy days days I'm gonna have to figure out how to do it. There's a longish section on this stuff somewhere here (in faq's?) that Scott mentions, not sure if the "code" reference link above will come through. Good luck.

As far as losing long posts, I tend to write and save long posts in Word, then cut and paste it in here. That way I've still got it saved in computer if it gets lost.

Hope this helps, Lee
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Post by clarenceada » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:06 pm

Lee, when I started my Dream project I set up an account with photo bucket and did manage to post a picture, but it was so convoluted a process of up-loading the pic to photo bucket put it in a folder and then set it up to go to the forum; that using the attachment method was an lot easier to use. What code reference? I wonder if the forum has out grown the site's severs.

I have word but rarely use it, so it would be another learning experience; and how do you put in the links and pictures when you are not on-line? I have a feeling I just showed my ignorance by that question but thats not unusual for me.
Thanks Lee.

Clarence

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

test photo from photobucket

Post by clarenceada » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:45 am

This is the first of the 90's I picked-up this summer from a young man in Coos Bay, Or. and as I got two yellow ones and a red one, this one I'll dub it "old red" and the best of the yellow, of course "old yeller.

Here is old red; frame no. ct90 342838, engine no. ct90e 342971:

The p.o. had started restoring this and had painted the frame and then couldn't get the engine apart as the points cam was stuck on the camshaft; he took the screws out of the points base and tried to pull the cam of the the shaft with big screwdrivers and pry bars by the looks of all the gouges in the head and points cam and had pounded the end of the cam so it was trashed; some people shouldn't work on bikes. He let this and another complete bike and about 10 heads, 4 cases, 6 cylinders, 3 good mufflers! (it's hard to find an old off-road bike up here with decent exhaust) and two usable seats with passenger pillion seats, and a new looking speedometer, go for an old 10hp mercury out-board engine. Is there a way to set these speedometers back as this one only has 644 miles and the bike has a lot more on it then that:

clarenceada

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:32 pm

Two ways to set speedo back. 1) with a drill, take forever and a day! 2) prize bezel off, remove odometer unit, ans reset to zero, both seek highly unlikely in your case. Most likely from a different bike, or ...................?

davomoto

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Post by clarenceada » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:29 pm

Just seems like quite a few on e-bay with only a couple of hundred miles on them. I figured it was from another bike even tho the seller said it was from his grandfathers barn and had set there for 30yrs.

Clarence

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home