Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Car Record Player Parts / Machinist????

Who said it was only about Motorcycles? What else do you collect, restore, enjoy... ?
Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Car Record Player Parts / Machinist????

Post by Vince Lupo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:07 am

Crazy question for everyone out there: does anyone know a good machinist? I need to get a 3” oblong gear/cam made out of aluminum or steel for my 45rpm car record player, as a replacement is unavailable (at least I haven't been able to track one down, or someone willing to sell me one!).

I have the original part, so what I’m looking for is for someone who can cut teeth to make this gear (it is the gear that changes the record and returns the tonearm). It is the only part I need to complete the restoration on this thing. It’s only been about 7 years!

OR -- if anyone happens to have that part for a Montgomery-Ward Riverside Phono / ARC 2500 car record player, please let me know! (it's official name is a 'ratchet wheel' and is part #10000-504).

Many thanks!

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:22 pm

Well I went to a machinist in Baltimore today, and because of its irregular shape, this part can't really be remade without spending a lot of money. So, if any of you car restoration guys happen to have a non-working ARC 2500 45rpm car record player/changer that you might want to sell (and hopefully has this part!), please let me know. Thanks!

mike69
honda305.com Member

record player

Post by mike69 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:56 pm

Have you tried ebay want it now? It's a longshot, but might be worth a try.

A friend of mine bought a new one back in the sixties.
He brought his collection of 45 records in the car the first day he used it. It was a nice hot summer day.
You can guess what happened to his record collection after sitting in a hot car for a few hours!

That's one reason they never caught on.
Last edited by mike69 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66 Dream
78 Goldwing

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:27 pm

Someone online has a player in bad condition for $200, but no guarantee that the cam is any good on that one, so it would be a bit of a gamble. I did contact a place in Binghamton, NY that does old radio and record player restoration, and he said he has the part but won't sell it to me (guess he's saving them for $500 restorations). Soooo, I might just put it aside for now and see what comes up on eBay. But your suggestion is a good one, so maybe I might do that. Thanks for the advice.

mike69
honda305.com Member

record player

Post by mike69 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:57 am

Vince,
While watching American Chopper last night I saw them making parts on a water jet machine.

Do think that could work in making your part?

Just a thought.
Mike
66 Dream
78 Goldwing

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:27 am

Hmm -- never heard of that, so I really couldn't say. What I should do is take a photo of this part and post it to show you what it looks like.

Another idea that has been suggested to me is that rather than have this part remade, why not get the rubber roller (the part that the aluminum cam drives) made slightly larger so that the cam has a bit more 'bite'. I'm going to run that idea by my record player restoration fellow in Baltimore, and see what he thinks about that.

mike69
honda305.com Member

record player

Post by mike69 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:01 am

With a water jet if it's made out of metal they can reroduce it.

That's what they use to make custom wheels,gears, basically anything.

Check the yellow pages in your area.
66 Dream
78 Goldwing

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home