Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

NSU supermax

Who said it was only about Motorcycles? What else do you collect, restore, enjoy... ?
clarenceada
honda305.com Member

NSU supermax

Post by clarenceada » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:21 am

The other day my daughter-in-law told me she had seen a Honda dream in the yard of the local auction house but when I went to look at it I was surprised to find it was an old 50's NSU, so I looked on the web till I found one that was close, you can see it here:

http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/ ... x_blue.htm

I can see why she thought it was a Dream with the full fenders and enclosed chain (it was under a tarp so hard to see). The engine is an over head valve design but with a weird connecting rod and crank instead of a chain or gear or push rods to open the valves.

I assume it is a collectible bike but how much is one in need of paint and a carb but is pretty much all there, worth? I found one that went at auction in L.A. for $2200, plus the houses cut, in what looked like excellent shape just last week. there's another one in Georgia for sale for $8500 so I have no idea what is a good bid on tomorrow when they have the auction. Anybody have any experience with these bikes?

Thanks for any advice.
Clarence

Sascha
honda305.com Member

Post by Sascha » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:43 am

That bike has some really classic lines to it... I like it!
-sascha

mike1969
honda305.com Member

nsu

Post by mike1969 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:17 am

Wow,That looks a lot like the early Dreams.I wonder who copied off of who?

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Re: nsu

Post by clarenceada » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:41 am

I read one of the Honda history links on-line and they said that Mr. Honda had went to
Germany in 56-57? and took notes on the super-max so it looks like Honda was coping European designs.

mike1969 wrote:Wow,That looks a lot like the early Dreams.I wonder who copied off of who?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home