Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Worth Restoring My '63 Falcon???

Who said it was only about Motorcycles? What else do you collect, restore, enjoy... ?
Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:06 pm

Been a long time since I've done any updates on the Checker progress. This is where it's at right now.....

Everything is going to be put back on the car this weekend, and then it's off to the upholsterer on Monday....stay tuned for all the excitement!!!!!

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:58 am

Car is now at the upholsterer, and hopefully should be done in a couple of weeks. A few more things to do after that, namely back to Maaco for some little fixes, and a few other minor issues.

Getting closer!

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:49 am

Picked up the car from the upholsterer yesterday, and now it's at the mechanic's getting a few things fixed, then back to the painter next week to have some things touched up.

Overall the car looks great, and photos can't do justice to the interior, as they did such a nice job.

The front seat waiting patiently to be installed

Headliner

Headliner

Back Seat

Getting there.....check out those sun visors!

Bob the Windshield Man

Getting Close!

Only thing that didn't fit properly were the rear 1/4 pieces of glass, as it appears that they weren't cut properly. I have another set on order (a pair of NOS ones this time), so hopefully they will be a better fit.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:20 am

Slowly but surely getting there with this beast. I haven't actually driven it all that much, as it's been shuttling between Maaco, my mechanic, and the body man. But here are some new photos.....

JEEVES is now CHUNKY!

New floor mats

It's going back to Roy the body man to have the passenger door aligned, one crack in the bodywork addressed, and to get the horns working (the connection between the steering column and the new steering wheel isn't working). Then Bob the windshield man needs to put the sealant in the gaskets, and then back to Maaco to have a few things touched up, as well as wet sanded and buffed. Like the SuperHawk, I don't think this car will ever be done!

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:28 am

The Checker is running great, and I've had a number of additional things done since the last post -- body/paint issues have mostly been worked out, though I'm planning on redoing the bumpers later in the year (soda blast them smooth, then repaint in the bright silver colour), some electrical refinements, minor tweaks to the stereo, and some front end/steering work (new idler arm, and one tie rod adjuster). The car seems to be super-reliable (knock on wood!), and it appears to keep its composure in heavy traffic on a hot day. One of the interesting things about the car is that it can coast for a considerable distance with your foot off the accelerator pedal -- guess it's all that weight being hurtled down the road that propels it?

I found this great license plate topper on eBay about a month ago -- this car is so identified with New York City, that I thought I'd play it up a bit.

Stay tuned for more......

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Vince, that is a totally cool car!!! Something tells me you watch "Wheeler Dealers"... ;~)

~~Sara
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:48 am

No actually I don't watch any of the 'car' shows on tv (don't have cable), but do watch the occasional Top Gear (UK) on Netflix.

Took the beast on a 1200 mile trip about two months ago, visiting my family in Toronto. The car performed flawlessly, and delivered about 20mpg throughout the trip.

On the NY Thruway.....

One thing that I did have done before the trip was to have my friend Lee pinstripe the car:

Taping the lines off

Applying the paint

Removing the Tape

Voila!

Subtle but Stylish!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home