Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Classic mini restoration

Who said it was only about Motorcycles? What else do you collect, restore, enjoy... ?
Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Classic mini restoration

Post by Geoff Hastings » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:13 am

Before I restored the CA77 I tackled a classic British Mini. Renowned for the brilliant design and unfortunately also for their poor build quality and ability to rust. I knew the rust would be bad but even so I was stunned at how much rust it had. The bodging over the years meant that when I cut the floor away there were 5 layers of metal and fibre glass. I replaced the entire boot floor, the complete front end, the door skins and scuttle panel. Still, the roof was ok so not a total rebuild. Naturally I also rebuilt the engine, gearbox and differential. On the plus side, pattern repair panels are cheap, genuine heritage panels are not but do fit without needing to be encouraged to fit.
Attachments
Just a sample of some of the rot
Just a sample of some of the rot
image.jpeg (102.81 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
Floor and inner and outer sill replaced
Floor and inner and outer sill replaced
image.jpeg (136.61 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
Finished project
Finished project
image.jpeg (127.67 KiB) Viewed 2251 times

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Re: Classic mini restoration

Post by Geoff Hastings » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:31 pm

Geoff Hastings wrote:Before I restored the CA77 I tackled a classic British Mini. Renowned for the brilliant design and unfortunately also for their poor build quality and ability to rust. I knew the rust would be bad but even so I was stunned at how much rust it had. The bodging over the years meant that when I cut the floor away there were 5 layers of metal and fibre glass. I replaced the entire boot floor, the complete front end, the door skins and scuttle panel. Still, the roof was ok so not a total rebuild. Naturally I also rebuilt the engine, gearbox and differential. On the plus side, pattern repair panels are cheap, genuine heritage panels are not but do fit without needing to be encouraged to fit.

Adam2
honda305.com Member

Post by Adam2 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:10 am

Super well done.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home