honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Is the CA95 oil filter meant to come apart ? (SOLVED)

CB160, CB350, CB360, CB450
onchiman
honda305.com Member

Is the CA95 oil filter meant to come apart ? (SOLVED)

Post by onchiman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:37 pm

Gad Zooks!! The phillips screws on the centrifugal oil filter seem to be cemented in! I'm using my impact driver and a vice and have almost rounded one screw out. I hate to pound on it any harder because it's a light aluminum housing and I don't want to break it. Am I missing something here? Should I just leave it be or is there any way of cleaning it without removing the screws?
Last edited by onchiman on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1963 Dream 305

onchiman
honda305.com Member

Post by onchiman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:59 pm

Well I finally managed to get the screws out and separate the filter halves. Not an easy or pleasant job. Only one screw came out undamaged bu the impact driver. Two others damaged and one completely rounded out. I think it may have been quicker/easier just to drill the screws out from the get go and just buy new ones. All clean and back together now.
1963 Dream 305

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:58 pm

At times ya need to use a sharp point punch or sharp chisel to break the screw loose.
Get a new/better head one and install it.
Been doing it with HONDA'S since 1963. ............lm

onchiman wrote:Well I finally managed to get the screws out and separate the filter halves. Not an easy or pleasant job. Only one screw came out undamaged bu the impact driver. Two others damaged and one completely rounded out. I think it may have been quicker/easier just to drill the screws out from the get go and just buy new ones. All clean and back together now.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home