Admirers

CB160 - Timing Question

CB160, CB350, CB360, CB450
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:00 pm

Did this engine run when ya got it?
Have ya done work with the valves/cam?
Yes ya can remove the valve caps then put the rotor to "T" and see if either side had both valves are adjusted to .004 and can be wiggled.
If ya find neither side has loose valves that ya can wiggle then either your valves are to tight or the cams are not timed to the crank with the chain correctly. .........lm

acurtiss wrote:That's what I thought. So switching the wires around is a waste of time :)

Is there any way to check valve timing without dropping the engine?

acurtiss
honda305.com Member

Post by acurtiss » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:39 pm

It did not run no, but the valves do seem to be timed correctly, or close enough so that I can wiggle and adjust at T. I haven't had it apart or anything like that, I've just been going through the motions trying to get it to run first. It feels close right now, but I'm getting some backfire/mist from the carbs so something's still not right.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:28 pm

Do ya get a spark at either plug? .........lm

acurtiss wrote:It did not run no, but the valves do seem to be timed correctly, or close enough so that I can wiggle and adjust at T. I haven't had it apart or anything like that, I've just been going through the motions trying to get it to run first. It feels close right now, but I'm getting some backfire/mist from the carbs so something's still not right.

acurtiss
honda305.com Member

Post by acurtiss » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:34 pm

Yes, there's a good strong spark at both plugs.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:42 pm

Do ya have any idea as to whether the cams are timed to the crank so the cylinders are capable of having compression with gas and firing?
Start from the beginning and set the points for the left side when the valves are able to wiggle and ya turn the rotor counter clockwise/to the left. .............lm

acurtiss wrote:Yes, there's a good strong spark at both plugs.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home